Senior Contributor
TexasWally

Shop Cabinet

A year and a half ago, I build a cabinet for my shop. The top half has shelves with doors and the bottom half has four drawers. The drawers are OK but I think I like the shelves better. I keep looking at the doors and I think peg board would be the way to go. Only problem I see is dust. I came up with this idea: a two piece door panel. Solid tempered hard board on the outside and peg board on the inside. I plan on using 1¼ poplar for the face frame and the door rails and stiles. I will cut two ⅛ inch grooves, a ¼ of an inch from the front and back of the rails and stiles to hold the hard board and peg board. Attached is a drawing of the cross section of one of the rails or stiles. Anyone see any problems with this design? Thanks.

stile cross section.jpg

Wally

My other hobby is napping. Fun and inexpensive!
Esteemed Advisor
krumy205747

Re: Shop Cabinet

I don't see any problem with the design but in my experience 1/8" pegboard is the pits. I would use 1/4" instead, if you have room to make it work that is. With that said, I have about 30 feet of pegboard in my shop and I would not do that again.

Steve K

Where do I get my wood? I'm oppor"turn"istic!!
Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

[ Edited ]

Have to agree with Steve, 1/8" peg board sucks. I would use 1/4" pegboard and 1/8" tempered hardboard. Before milling the rails and stiles so thick I would also check to see how much room you need to get the pegs slipped into place. 1 1/4" rails and stiles are going to look awfully thick, but then it is just a shop cabinet.

Rick

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."
Senior Contributor
TexasWally

Thanks guys. I know 1/8 inch sucks but I've got a large quantity of hooks for 1/8 inch I don't want to go to waste. I need to check at the BORG as their 1/4 inch stuff really measures closer to 3/16. If the hooks will fit, I might go with that. I know where I can get real 1/4 inch, but then  I'd have to get new hooks.

Wally

My other hobby is napping. Fun and inexpensive!
Veteran Advisor
Danl

I have a couple of shop cabinets which have 1/4" peg board on both the inside, for the back panel, and for the door panels.  Very little dust enters the cabinet.

Danl

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.