Senior Contributor
Allen O.

Screws for mounting wall cabinets?

I am in the process of making cabinets for my shop that will be made from 3/4" birch plywood.  I've read that for the wall cabinets, you should not use drywall screws for mounting the cabinets because they lack the shear strength of steel screws.  The wall cabinets will be made with solid 3/4" backs rabetted into the sides so I'm not worried about strength of the cabinet.  I"ll have 2-24", 2-30" and one 36 inch wall cabinet.  The wall is made out of 1/2"  OSB screwed to 2x6 studs.   So here's the question:  What sort of steel screws should I use for mounting the wall cabinets, and what specs should I look for onthe screws?  Thanks in advance

Allen

Allen O.
"Today's mighty oak is nothing more than yesterday's little nut that held it's ground."
Advisor
nortana

Re: Screws for mounting wall cabinets?

Allen...........I would deffinitely be looking for washer head screws. I'm sure you could google them, but you can also order from McFeeleys. And get 3" screws for sure. The advatage of washer head is that when they bottom out, they will pull the cabinet snug to the wall. If you don't have a "nailer" board and just plywood to go thru, just seat them snug, or you could bury the screw in the softer plywood.

Honored Advisor
stick48668

I like GRK's...

tough...

don't bteak and their holding power is second to none...

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=grk+cabinet+screws&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=751016...

McFeeley's has these that are similar...

http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/0840-PHW/FastCap-10-x-4quot-PowerHead-Cabinet-Screws/?ci_src=1758896...

can I ask why the 3/4" backs???

this would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
if only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Veteran Advisor
Gary K.

+1` for Sticks post. There is good chance that drywall screws might hold up, but why take a chance? Put in an order at McFeeley's and stock up on different screws.

Keedy

" Anyone who isn't confused here, doesn't really know what's going on."

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure. People tell me I'm argumentative, but I beg to differ. All I know is it's bad luck to be superstitious.

Honored Advisor
-Paladin-

The BORG and others sell a screw for particle board and MDF that is very similar to a pocket hole screw. I have been using them for years and they work great.

Priced a little better than pocket hole screws.

~PALADIN~
Wood'nBoats&Stuff
Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

I've been using gold screws for a long time, but I like to use them in conjunction with finish washers. They look good and don't let the screw go too far into the wood.

"If you can't hide it...advertise it!"
Honored Advisor
ynoT

Stick gave you good suggestion. I, too, have same question as well, why 3/4" backs?

Tony

"Why worry about things you can't control when you can keep yourself busy controlling the things that depend on you."
Esteemed Advisor
Warped and Twisted

ynoT wrote:

Stick gave you good suggestion. I, too, have same question as well, why 3/4" backs?

Tony

I tool use 3/4 back in most of my cabinets. 

1, I only have to stock thickness of sheet goods for boxes.

2, It really stiffens up the box.

3, I don't have to mess with installing nailers.

4. I can put screws any where I want. 

Alaskans for Global Warming

Find more about Weather in Eagle River, AK
Click for weather forecast

"The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot.. it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder it is well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better"
Esteemed Advisor
hankm

I ran 2 different levels of French Cleating on my 20' garage wall. I avoid immovable mounting whenever possible, preferring the ability to reconfigure as my needs change or new items are acquired. Simple, cheap, easy to make; on my concrete wall I simply used Tapcons- no muss, no fuss. On a stud wall, allows you to maximize holding power by securing directly to all studs behind wihout adapting to intercostal space by means of toggle bolts, etc. Also allows the use of thin stock for back panels since the hanger bar holds the weight.

ClampWallRack02.jpg

A successful journey has two parts; facing the right direction, and taking the first step.

- Beachside Hank, WOOD Online Video Host

Honored Advisor
stick48668

and use the GRK's to fasten the french cleat to the wall/studs....

this would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
if only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.