Highlighted
Veteran Contributor
Accepted Solution

Scrap Cherry cutting board dimensions issue

Seeing some work on line made from scraps and ends got me motivated.  I have enough cherry cut offs to make a decent glue up board.  My dilemma is that the individual pieces are 7/8 by 5/8 (an 20 inches long).  If I make the board 5/8 (12 1/4 x 20 x 5/8 rough size) thick then I get some good looking board faces and it is 12 1/4 x 20.  Using the 7/8 thick construction I get a bunch of side grain surfaces, the thicker profile but it is only  8 3/4 x 20 x 7/8.  I am leaning toward the 12 1/4 x 20 x 5/8.  

I guess that is the long way to ask if there is some magic minimum thickness for a general duty home cutting board that will be used on the counter top.  :-)  I guess if there is I can just use it as a bread board.  ;-)

Jeff

Honored Advisor

Re: Scrap Cherry cutting board dimensions issue

Grasshopper, the lumber seems to be telling you what size it wants the cutting boards to be. So be it. I don't think it is written in stone anywhere.
Dan
Youngstown, Oh
Esteemed Advisor

+1 for dan

Kelly C
Medford, OR
Veteran Advisor

+2 for h-d   Decision is totally yours.

WOOD BURNER

FORUMS HOST
Esteemed Advisor

Now for other considerations. It may be possible for the thinner board to warp more easily when wet (do not imerse, but must get wet to clean). And will will need more careful drying ( dry on edge or supported as we do when storing lumber). Another option is cross cut the glued board and make a shorter end grain cutting board.

Gerald Lawrence @ The Three Rings Woodshop
Brandon,MS
Advisor

I won't claim to be an expert but I do make a lot of cutting boards for gifts and some for sale. What my experience has been is the boards do have a tendency to warp if they are allowed to dry out,lack of oil,if they are too thin. As a result of this,I have decided I will not make an edge grained board thinner than 1" if it is going to be over 10"x14". Once I get to that size,I increase the thickness to 1 1/4" just to try and help reduce the possibility of warpage. 

Now with that being said,I know a local guy that makes them as thin as 5/8" in small sizes,like 8x10 and he seems to have few issues but I know he also submerges his boards for several days in an oil bath to thoroughly saturate them.