Frequent Contributor
Magintd

Resaw on the Table Saw?

I am making about to start making a silverware chest from a set of plans for my wife, a project I have been putting off for far too long.  Part of the reason is that a lot of the pieces are pretty thin (good bit of 1/4, 3/8, etc).  I have a jointer and a benchtop planer, and I have enough 4/4 wood (but no bandsaw), so I could just plane down the 4/4 wood to the needed thickness.

I plan on getting a bandsaw at some point in the future, but probably not before I'm done with this project.  So my question is, since this is a relatively small project, should I just plane the wood all the way from 3/4" down to to 1/4" etc, or should I try to resaw it on the table saw?  I have seen a lot of posts online of people saying they had success resawing on the tablesaw, but honestly, it just didn't look safe to me.  

Thanks for the advice.

Tim

Esteemed Advisor

Re: Resaw on the Table Saw?

When I resaw on the table saw I cut in a little less than half way on each side leaving a web in the middle.  Depending on depth of cut it may take several passes using a rip blade.   Then remove the web with a hand saw.   Use feather boards to hold it to the fence.    I am sure there are other ways but this works for me.   Roly

Advisor
Marlen_at_WOOD

[ Edited ]

Consider these articles from past issues of WOOD; Resawing Without a Bandsaw and The Wonderous World of Resawing. Marlen @ WOOD

Advisor
tomsteve1967

i do quite a bit of resawing on my t.s. featherboards and a tall auxilarry fence help. i can rip up to 6" on it. using the t.s. will be quicker and less dust and chips to clean up. plus if you line it up good, you'll get 2 usable pieces of wood. if your lumber is already planed to 3/4", one piece might finish out less than 1/4", but i am sure you can find a use for it later on.

no matter what i build or how many times i build it, it's all practice.
Advisor
whitedogstr8leg

I regularly re-saw 4x4 stock on the table saw.   That being said, there are a few "must haves" for this to happen.   First everything must be square, the board's edges, the fence, and the blade.    The blade MUST be at 90 degrees to the table's surface.  While not a safety factor, it does get rid of "issues" with the cut being flat.    A little "off" will result in a "face" being like this: " (", or this:  " )".   Just means more work to flatten the face of the board.  Also, use a constant "feed-rate" not too fast, but not so slow you wind up burning the wood.     Since a splitter won't work on this kindof cut ( a riving knife might?) keep an eye "peeled" on the kerf as it leaves the blade area.    Some woods will try to close up the kerf, causing the wood to "bind".   When I do have such a board, I tend to stop the cut, and add a small screw into the kerf.    It tends to keep the kerf open.     I will also use shallower cuts on such boards, to relieve of such stress.    Four cuts instead of two, no big deal.   Also, keep some sort of downward pressure while making the cut.  Some (most) boards will tend to "rise up" during the cut.   One more item (tip?) if the kerf does tend to close up, turn the board end for end and try again, sometimes the stress is near just one end of a board. 

smarter than a doorknob, meaner than concrete

"KNIFASIGNIKEHT"
Veteran Advisor
Gary K.

71166 wrote:

When I resaw on the table saw I cut in a little less than half way on each side leaving a web in the middle.  Depending on depth of cut it may take several passes using a rip blade.   Then remove the web with a hand saw.   Use feather boards to hold it to the fence.    I am sure there are other ways but this works for me.   Roly

+1 for Roly's method.  I have been using this method for years. Just one thing...make sure you keep the same face of the board registered ainst the fence when you flip the board.

Keedy

" Anyone who isn't confused here, doesn't really know what's going on."

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure. People tell me I'm argumentative, but I beg to differ. All I know is it's bad luck to be superstitious.

Frequent Contributor
cannon84

I resawed a 4x6 poplar into 1x4's a few months ago. I jointed a 90 corner and planed the 3rd side. Then a pass from each side on the TS. I like to go back to the jointer after every board comes off and get a flat surface to go against the fence.

Cannon

Esteemed Advisor
knotscott

[ Edited ]

I've had a fair amount of success resawing with the TS, but if it's something that you're not comfortable with, don't do it.  There are other valid options.

If after reading these responses, you feel more comfortable with it, be sure to follow the safety advice.  I use a good 24T FTG thin kerf blade, featherboard, push shoe, and I make sure the board is flat and square on all sides.  Depending on the width of the board, you might want to use an auxiliary fence.  Thick boards are less tippy than thin boards...you can gang two 1" boards together to make the board being cut more stable. 

"I've gotta stop treating this stuff like it grows on trees"
Veteran Advisor
Allen Worsham

I re-saw on my TS quite often. I use a Freud ripping blade and auxillary fence along with feather boards and proper push sticks and/or "Grriper" push blocks for safety. I can easily do 6-6.5" wide boards and a bit taller by cutting out the center peice. Once done I run them through my Ridgid 13" benchtop planer or Jet 16-32 drum sander to final dimensions. You do always want to be cautious when using your tablesaw and don't try to rush it. The first time I did re-sawing I was more than a tad bit nervous, but have since calmed down to being properly cautious. Make sure that you leave the boards long so that you can trim the ends from and lateral movement at the end of the cut which can make the cuts uneven.

Allen Worsham, Corona, CA

allenworsham@gmail.com

"Graze in every man's field, but always give your own milk."

J.V. McGee
Frequent Contributor
Magintd

Thanks for the tips everyone, I think I'll give it a shot.  As I said, in this project it isn't strictly necessary since I have enough wood, I just hate seeing the dust collector fill up with all that beautiful wood, so I think it'll be a good exercise for me. 

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.