Honored Advisor
kmealy

Removing barrel hinges

I'm repairing a piece that has barrel hinges and I need to remove the old ones.   The new ones say there's an lock in screw that you use when you install them, but I'm replacing with a different style of hinge.   It's not obvious how to get the old ones out as I don't see a screw head anywhere.  Any ideas?   Bigger hammer??

Advisor
tictock2

Re: Removing barrel hinges

Can they be drilled out ?

TicTock

Esteemed Advisor
john880

[ Edited ]

Isn't there a very small screw down the center of the barrel, that when turned clock wise causes the sides to (some spread, some has this rotating cam that bites the sides of the wood  threw an opening in the sides of the brass barrel) lock in.

No dough you already know this, these are on big buggier to drill and install, very close toularances,,,very close. If you are replacing one brand with the a nother, they may not have the same center to center measurements and you will  run into drilling another hole very close to the original,,,,,not so good !!!

TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN,
YET AT THE SAME TIME, THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE,,, SO MAKE THE BEST OF IT WHILE YOU CAN, AND ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS.

Honored Advisor
ynoT

Are they welded on?

Tony

"Why worry about things you can't control when you can keep yourself busy controlling the things that depend on you."
Honored Advisor
kmealy

Well, I found out they were pot metal (which is why the broke initially).  There were two fine brads holding them in.  Pliers, nail extractor, and hammer got them out enough to cover over the remainder with epoxy putty and hide them under the new piano hinges.   All is well.

Esteemed Advisor
john880

kmealy,

If you can (or allowed) you could cut a slight degree cant into that back lid top with a table saw. Then when you install that piano hinge, the lid has a chance to lean back and stay open all on it's own.

TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN,
YET AT THE SAME TIME, THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE,,, SO MAKE THE BEST OF IT WHILE YOU CAN, AND ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.