Veteran Contributor
Jim Frye
Accepted Solution

Raised, Six Panel Closet Doors, Where?

I am about to take the current home remodeling project upstairs and I am looking to replace the existing masonite slab bifold closet doors (four closets with two sets of bifolds each) with something to match the oak 6 panel passage doors that I am installing.  I have checked Lowes, Home Despot, Carter Lumber, and the local plywood dealer in town with no solutions available other than special order.  I'd like to be able to pick up a set when I am ready for them and I'd like to be able to inspect what I buy before I pay.  Does anyone have any other possible sources for either bifold or by-pass oak raised panel doors?  Thanks. 

Jim Frye
The Nut in the Cellar
Frequent Contributor
mark ball

Re: Raised, Six Panel Closet Doors, Where?

If you are talking about bifold closet doors, I just bought 6 panel unfinished oak raised panel doors from menards for $89.   Ibought two sets which will fit in a 48" FINISHED opening

Honored Advisor
Warped and Twisted

Check with your local millwork shop.

Alaskans for Global Warming

Find more about Weather in Eagle River, AK
Click for weather forecast

"The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot.. it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder it is well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better"
Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

If you have a Windsor Plywood store in your area, they can make or get most anything.

"If you can't hide it...advertise it!"
Veteran Contributor
Jim Frye

mark ball wrote:

If you are talking about bifold closet doors, I just bought 6 panel unfinished oak raised panel doors from menards for $89.   Ibought two sets which will fit in a 48" FINISHED opening

I need help.  There is a Menards about a mile from my house.  Never thought to look there!  Their wood is so bad, I had written them off for that sort of stuff.  Thanks,  I'll look there.

Jim Frye
The Nut in the Cellar
Senior Contributor
DRAGON1

Hey Jim, why not just pick up some trim and cut it to whatever pattern you want to replicate on the front of the doors?

Inset a piece of 1/2 inch pine with a routed edge for the "Panel" and glue it in for that "raised" panel look with little to no cost.

You might have enough scrap to make everything you need.

Of course I don't look busy!!!

I did it right the first time!!!!
Veteran Advisor
Sawdustr

Hello Jim,

This is your lucky day as I have made some drawings that might help you and here they are;

Six Panel Style Door Typical.JPG

This is the explodes view and you may resize it to suit your needs.

I hope these will be of some help to you and if you have any questions just email me at Ralj7@AOL.com

Now here it is assembled;

Six Panel Style Door Typical.JPG

Remember to keep your hands no closer to a spinning blade or bit than 6" for safety sake.

Respectfully,

Ralph Jones General Forums Host

http://www.ralphjoneswoodworking.com
Veteran Advisor
Sawdustr

Hey Jim,

Sorry about that as I meant to send you the exploded drawing so here it is;

Six Panel Door Exploded View.JPG

Now with this drawing you shouldn't have any trouble.

Remember to keep your hands no closer to a spinning blade or bit than 6" for safety sake.

Respectfully,

Ralph Jones General Forums Host

http://www.ralphjoneswoodworking.com
Veteran Contributor
Jim Frye

Thanks to Mark and all...

I went to Menards today and found exactly what I was looking for.  The oak 6 panel bifold doors are a dead match for the passage doors I have been installing in the house.  The closet doors come with all new hardware too.  All I have to do is mount new knobs.  I even found cabinet knobs at Menards that match the Schlage oiled bronze egg shaped door hardware we are putting on the new doors.  I appreciate all the help folks. 

Jim Frye
The Nut in the Cellar

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.