Advisor
TNT Sr

Questions on working with Mesquite...

[ Edited ]

I came across an ad on CL talking about having mesquite, walnut, and aromatic cedar.  I emailed them to ask for for a price and I'll go take a look at them this week.  They're advertising as rough sawn.  Having only worked with pine and plys I've got a couple of questions:

1.  What's going to be a good price for some boards?  I'm in West Texas if that helps.

2.  My T/S is an older Craftsman with a 1.5hp belt drive and my B/S is a 12" belt drive as well.  I know mesquite is hard, but I'm hoping these two tools will handle it.  Any ideas on blades though? 

3.  When I did a search around here, all I could find was some threads about filling the cracks and knots with epoxy.  Seems pretty easy to do...I would hope.

I don't know what I'm going to make yet...probably some frames to start off with, then maybe a shelf, and depending on how much he has and how much he wants, maybe some furniture.

Thanks for the inputs ya'll...

Troy

Remember, you're just one mistake away from a lesson learned...
Esteemed Advisor
Warped and Twisted

Re: Questions on Mesquite...

[ Edited ]

I believe the going rate from a Mesquite retail supplier is about 10.00 a board foot.

There is a lot of information on the net about filling cracks in Mesquite, do a Google search on "filling cracks in Mesquite". Don't know about your saw.

Alaskans for Global Warming

Find more about Weather in Eagle River, AK
Click for weather forecast

"The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot.. it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder it is well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better"
Advisor
Keith Stephens

Re: Questions on working with Mesquite...

Go HERE for our blog on working with Mesquite.  You will find some good information including tips about working with epoxy.

Mesquite is an outstanding wood but it has plenty of unique characteristics.  Clear boards, even small ones, are rare.  Price is highly variable.

Keith Stephens
Woodworkers Source
Esteemed Advisor
smallpatch1

Troy  if its not too far there is a saw mill on 180 three or four miles west of Palo Pinto.

I got his card when we went to First Monday in Weatherford. He had a trailer full of

Mesquite he had brought to the sale. He is a new  kid on the block with a saw just getting

started so he seems to be cheaper on his wood.Around four dollars board foot ruff

depending on how much a guy buys. It was the best I had seen in a long time.

I live in Breckenridge and have been to a  small saw mill between here and Cisco. He was

higher on his prices.

When you say you live in West Texas.??????? ;My house to El Paso is over 500 miles and all

my neighbors say they live in West Texas.

There is also a saw mill on Treadaway street in Abilene . Somewhere close to the 1100 block.

My neighbor with the sloping floor gets his Cedar from two or three miles south of Lampassas.

This is a big fence post maker. He also has flat slab cedar so I would bet they have Mesquite also. 

I am a slow thinker so just now thought a guy could Google  Mesquite lumber and get a days

worth of driving in this area. I think the farther south you go the more it will cost/

:You have to keep an eye on Mesquite if you leave it sitting around  very long. Them big boarers

can find it no matter where you hide it. I bought a load of Mesquite fire wood in Clyde one year

and before I could get it to Odessa, half of it turned into sawdust.

Jess

Advisor
TNT Sr

Kieth - Great looking frame.  My wife didn't realize how good mesquite could really look other than glowing red in the smoker :smileyhappy:  Added to my favorites to reference when I get ready to start working it.

Jess -

Yeah, I think anything east of D/FW, most consider West Texas :smileyhappy:  I live in Sweetwater but work in Abilene.  I've seen the one down on Treadaway a few times, but never stopped in.  Probably should.  This guy said he can no longer make furniture so he's trying to get rid of his inventory.  Said he has everything from mantle to 3/4.

Your neighbor makes a heck of a drive to get his Cedar, but I'm sure it's worth it.

Good suggestion on storage.  I've noticed that with my fire logs that no matter where I put it, they seem to find a home.

Thanks for ya'll's inputs...think I'll run down this week and see what he's got.

Troy

Advisor
Marlen_at_WOOD

Learn a little more about mesquite. Read the mesquite anecdote, see a mesquite burl bowl, or preview our downlaodable article in the WOOD store about Texan Robert Hensarling's work with mesquite.  Marlen @ WOOD

Esteemed Advisor
smallpatch1

Troy this is a picture of some of the stuff my neighbor makes with that Lampasas

Cedar. Everything in his house he built. And to top it off he is just a plain ole  Principal

at a Jr. high here in Breckenridge. I didn't know teachers were that smart!!!!!3882i31592453C5B1D5E7

Advisor
TNT Sr

I remember you posting something like this a few weeks ago...showed a pic of his slanted shop and his wife trying to make up the house before he took the pics :smileyhappy:

....So I went out to look at it..not what I thought, but maybe should've expected.  it was outside, so it was weathered.  He said when I plane it or sand it, it'll come back to life.  Still had the bark on the edges which I thought was pretty cool looking.  Slabs were 1 1/2 to 2" thick and most looked about 2' wide and 4-5' long. Have to figure out how much I need before I go back with my trailor.  Also had a "log" of aromatic sawn up into pretty good slabs to.  Won't tell you how much he wants for it all till I get back and get my stash first :smileyhappy: 

Troy

Advisor
TNT Sr

If you'd like some mesquite and a REALLY reasonable price, PM me and I'll give you his info.  Don't think he has a set price, just one of those "...if you want all that, I'll give it to you for this..." kinda deal.

Troy

Esteemed Advisor
smallpatch1

Troy are you talking about Lankfords on Treadaway. I have been going by his place once or

twice a week for the last twelve years. I did stop two different times and nobody home. I use to

go slow  and gaze over to the fence at all that wood and the main thing that bugged me was

it didn't look like he ever put anything on the ends of the wood to keep it from drying too

fast and cracking.

I noticed he has a new mill sitting on the west side of Treadaway so he must be moving some wood.

Did he offer a better deal the more a person bought? We will be going to the VA in Big Springs next

Wednesday for a little hearing assist so I might stop and look over what he has.

Like I mentioned before, If it is not too far for you to go to First Monday in Weatherford this

guy from Palo Pinto has been bringing a trailer load to the sale and I think he will give you a deal

on it so he won't have to take it back home. He usually hauls 3 or 4 hundred foot or so. 

That reminds me, there is also a hugh  wood display on the north end of the sale next

to 180 business which has been there each month for ten years or so. Lots of big stuff , good

selection.

I don't know if you know but Abilene Lumber on Industrial stocks Maple, Birch and Oak .

Most of it is is in the 8 foot range and smooth on three sides. Better prices than the box stores.

Jess

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.