Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

Plant stand finished

Almost. I intend to rub out more with rottenstone after a month of curing.  I considered this project a learning one as I had never done an inlay before or a hand-rubbed finish. I love the finish but of course there is room for improvement. The inlay was the only one available, so please forgive the pattern. I don't think it goes well, but I was experimenting. The finish is about 10 coats of wipe on varnish (no poly), then sanded at 800 (sanding in between every 3rd coat as well), rubbed with 0000 steel wool and rubbed out with a soft cloth. pics 001 Medium Web view.jpgpics 002 Medium Web view.jpg

"If you can't hide it...advertise it!"
Advisor
Randy@Yorktown

Re: Plant stand finished

Russ, that is a very nice piece of work!  The inlay isn't the only remarkable thing about the stand.  Did you build from plans or cook it up yourself?

Senior Contributor
ductape

That looks great. Beautiful wood and finish. Give yourself a big pat on the back from me.

I am going to try inlay one day, when I muster up the courage.

My forgetter's getting better, But my rememberer is broke. ______________________
Mike in Mississippi
Honored Advisor
Warped and Twisted

Turned out real nice Russ. I see nothing wrong with your choice or should I say non-choice of inlay.

Alaskans for Global Warming

Find more about Weather in Eagle River, AK
Click for weather forecast

"The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot.. it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder it is well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better"
Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

Thank you Ductape, WT and Randy. Randy, It is a "twist" on something I saw when browsing pictures of plant stands. I posted this awhile back under something like "opinions please". Just going by the pic is what I do the most. I have never had a plan. I actually would like to try one sometime. I think it would speed up the process.

Senior Contributor
ductape

RussBoyd wrote:

I have never had a plan. I actually would like to try one sometime. I think it would speed up the process.

Naaaaaaa! We don't need no instructions!

My forgetter's getting better, But my rememberer is broke. ______________________
Mike in Mississippi
Senior Contributor
sitesr

Russ, I remember your original post and I think it turned out great.  I like the way you decided to arrange the legs.

Ron

Advisor
Superglide

Very nice!! I like the unique design of the legs. Great work!

Contributor
jeff.whitaker

WOW!  ..... just...wow!

Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

Thank you all for the nice comments. I appreciate the opinions as well as the support that comes from these forums.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.