Veteran Contributor
ColoRon

Planer questions

I was using my 12" delta planer and planed my board down to my desired dimension. Then leaving all the settings as they were, I ran the board through again for complete smoothness.  It took off another small fraction of wood, so I tried it again and got the same results. I was antisipating only a tiny amount of shavings, but saw about as much as a thin cut would produce.

Is this normal or is my machine out of adjustment?

If I continued, would it just keep on cutting until it was too thin?

altier.ron@gmail.com
Honored Advisor
ynoT

Re: Planer questions

Ron,

I know my Ridgid does something simmilar. I normaly stop at set size and not run it through again. Few times that I did it sounded as if it was taking wood off. But measuring the stock showed that nothing has changed.

Your unit shouldn't continue cutting once you reach desired number. Read your manual for possible answers.

Tony

"Why worry about things you can't control when you can keep yourself busy controlling the things that depend on you."
Veteran Advisor
Allen Worsham

I also have the Ridgid 13" planer. I will always use the head lock every time I change the depth as it can move. If I am milling to a standard thickness and I have a set stop, then I use the set stop. I don't know if your planer has a head lock or not. If it does, then use it and you shouldn't have the head moving.

Allen Worsham, Corona, CA

allenworsham@gmail.com

"Graze in every man's field, but always give your own milk."

J.V. McGee
Veteran Advisor
grandpabear

[ Edited ]

i think you are cutting high spots. one pass at set position will leave a wavy, scalloped surface. another pass will clip the higher waves and succeding passes will also remove high spots there may be some compression issues at work here also. the planer knives hit with great force in slightly down motion and may compress the belt that drives the wood and momentarily slow the board. i can feel the impact on a joiner and router.

try this. take board that has been surfaced. lay a piece of colored chalk on its side and rub it over the board. run it through again. was all the chalk removed? see how many passes at the same settings it takes to clean all the chalk off.

Whittier CA
THE MOST DANGEROUS TOOL IS THE ONE YOU ARE USING
Veteran Contributor
chover

My Delta 12" planer does the same thing and I agree with the other posters that it is just cleaning up the high spots that can be left.  I generally run my boards through perpendicular to the cutting head, then run it at a slight angle to clean up any milling marks left from the first pass.  It has worked for me.  Try the chalk test too.  If anything it will help identify if you blades have nicks or aren't contacting the wood completely.

Colby

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.