Apprentice Contributor
shopnut

Palm wood - uses?

I have a 20 ft, 1.5 ft diameter palm tree that needs to be taken down.  Is palm tree wood good for any projects?

Community Manager
MSWOODcraft

Re: Palm wood - uses?

[ Edited ]

Palm is reallly interesting stuff.    Botanically, it's not a tree. It's a grass, and if memory serves it's also a distant cousin of the orchid family.     Point is: it doesn't have wood like we're used to seeing wood.  

Here's a shot of some things that I turned from black palm.   When split open it has a sort of a resinous binder material with what look to be straws embedded in it.   

5786i6A0FCCE557905DF8

5788i331322B5447AFB86

At the lathe I've found that it requires brutally sharp cutters or I'd get a lot of tearout.   I have never tried using a large enough chunk of it for regular ol' woodworking.

FWIW.

Best,

Matt Seiler
Wood Online Moderator

Apprentice Contributor
shopnut

Wow, really beautiful stuff! Thank you

Community Manager
MSWOODcraft

I'd be curious what the drying schedule is for palm.   I've got to think that it's got a whole 'nother set of considerations for shedding moisture than traditional wood does.

Maybe something to look into, John.   If you find out, share it with us.  Now I'm curious.

ALSO:  I almost always see palm turning blanks covered in wax.   I don't know exactly what that means, but I'll bet that it does actually mean something in terms of moisture.    So there's a story in there somewhere that I know I'm missing.

Best,

Matt Seiler
Wood Online Moderator

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.