Highlighted
Contributor
Accepted Solution

New to community -- need advice to match this cabinet

I am getng ready to make a simple "student desk" for the kitchen area.   I would like to "match" the cabinets that are in the kitchen.  I don't have any history on the cabinet wood(s) -- just moved in.   The cabinets look pretty "big-box-y", but I don't think they are composite materials.  

So, what would be the best match -- birch, beech, ash, ??  surely its not oak !! 

It has a high gloss finish that almost makes it look synthetic --- characteristic of big-box store cabinets. ??  

thanks for any advice and opinions..  

Don

cabinet example.jpg

Community Manager

Re: New to community -- need advice to match this cabinet

[ Edited ]

Welcome, Don.

How about a much closer photo of the wood?  All I can tell from here is a general color.  Being able to see some grain would go a long way towards helping you out.

Best,

Matt Seiler
Forum Moderator

Contributor

First, thank you for your help... 

Here are a couple close up photos of a cabinet door, outside and inside of the same "corner"... 

Hope this helps.. 

Donphoto 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

Esteemed Advisor

Don..  A warm welcome to the WOOD Forums.

My first three guesses are Aspen; Pine or Poplar. I don't think they are made from any hardwood.  (Maybe Alder?)

Clear lacquer finish?  ("CAT" lacquer?)  Can you find out where they came from and ask them?

Larry.. East Central Iowa

Good enough.. Isn't.
Contributor

Daughter is renting the house...  and owner is rather "distant".... so, I think we're on our own for this question. 

The other option I was thinking of was to visit Home Depot/Lowes and "look" at their offerings and see if anything looked like a match.  

Poplar is an interesting guess... though I think the color is throwing me off for that option.  

I made a quick little stool for the totler in pine and covered with Polyurathane .. and it is "almost" as yellow and match, but the cabinet wood feels a bit harder than "simple" pine.   color in the iPhone photo may also be yellow from the ambient light. 

Thank you for your suggestions !!

Don

photo 3.JPG

Honored Advisor

I believe it's pine..

the yellowness is from the finish...

this would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
if only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick...

Forget the primal scream, just ROAR!!!
Veteran Advisor

I would suggest you maybe picking up a piece or two alder, ash and maybe pine even though I don't think that grain looks much like pine to me.  take it home with you and do not cut or stain any of it . When you think you might have narrowed it down, take the rest back and get your money returned.  I also do not think it looks like oak.

If you are married , take swmbo with you while you are selecting options. My dear wife is very good at that.

WOOD BURNER

FORUMS HOST
Honored Advisor

I am looking at the close up - how about birch?  Birch and alder are quite similar. 

The next question - how are your lumber sources?  Are there reasonable "real" lumber yards near you?

If you are looking for plywood for the carcass of the desk (as well as drawers) - you could check out maple plywood - it may be more easily gotten than birch plywood.

Esteemed Advisor

dachaisson wrote:

Daughter is renting the house...  and owner is rather "distant".... so, I think we're on our own for this question. 

Since she is "Renting" and might not be there in a few years.  This is where "Close" might be good enough, unless you want the challenge. Or go with something different that can be generic that would blend-in in other areas of the house or future houses.

George K
Aberdeen, NJ

"I keep cutting and it's still to short"

"Stupid is Expensive"

Honored Advisor

It is either birch or maple with a clear finish but more on the maple side.