Frequent Contributor
nannapapam

New Orleans Saints Bench { Final Bench }

This will be my final bench post - for I'm all out of benches to Router logo's on , I have been given 5 of these free benches from a Funeral Home some 24 miles away . They just didn't want them sold - so I decided to put Logo's on them and give them to family members and this is the final one finished except for the brass legs tips being installed on the bench . This started out a 10 foot long bench and now is 4 foot long , I told my cousin David that if he wanted both the LSU and Saints logo both I could do it - the bench would just have to be a little longer { But this logo is what he wanted }  .My cousin in New Orleans has received my e-mail with pictures of his bench and he was happy with it . I started out wanting to do a lot of these - but since have decided that I'm glad they are all finished  - wow what a lot of work  ... Any comments are welcomed ...........MB 

Usually busier than a cat in a sand-box.......
Senior Contributor
*csquared*

Re: New Orleans Saints Bench { Final Bench }

That looks fantastic.  Someone should be willing to pay a bounty...or a nice price for that.

Sorry I couldn't resist.  It really is a very nice job on the logo.

Mike

Senior Advisor
john880

Could you go into a little about the routing ??? Free handed, built a template,what bit/s,,,,,??? Thanks ahead of it all.

TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN,
YET AT THE SAME TIME, THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE,,, SO MAKE THE BEST OF IT WHILE YOU CAN, AND ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS.

Frequent Contributor
nannapapam

[ Edited ]

John : My wife helped me make the  paper pattern and she worked on it for quit some time { I'm talking about months too } . We used tracing paper under the pattern to tranfer it onto the wood { Another pointer is to measure to make sure the pattern is the right size- you want it to cover the area which would looks the best - also and keep the pattern centered in the back of the bench }. After the pattern was transfered I set the bench on two saw horses and moved a chair in between them and Routered a little bit and had a air compressor hose blow off about every inch I routered -  this will be slow going now- another thing the Router will not get real close to the seat bottom - so I used a small roto-zip to help clean up that area where the Router want cut - that's where I just carefully chewed away at the wood real carefully- be careful - cause you can screw up if not careful   . On the rest I used a real small light weight  Router - used a 45 degree 1/4"  V-Grooving & Lettering bit for the cutting for about an 1/8" deep { You can buy these on-line - not very high} . I can honestly say that more of you woodworkers can do this if I can - for this is the first time I've ever tryed anything like this ...one more thing I had a large high powered light shining on the project - for that extra light comes in handy to follow the pencil lines ...............Good Luck....MB

Veteran Contributor
Jakestheman

I have to say you have a very steady hand-- I'd be shakin' like a leaf on a tree if I had done that. Very nice job. Ron
Senior Advisor
john880

[ Edited ]

MB,

You did a good job on thoes, although I don't really need to tell you that. By you "stretching out there", doing something you never tried,  you have gained confidence in your ability to "stretch out there" on something else sometime later. "Sucess builds confidence".  I think this added confidence will become more of a importance to you down the line, than the physical ability of the cutting of the emblems. But ,,,a *   * very good example on both, MB.

TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN,
YET AT THE SAME TIME, THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE,,, SO MAKE THE BEST OF IT WHILE YOU CAN, AND ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS.

Senior Contributor
Dan Gallo

Nice looking bench Marshall!

Dan in So.Ca.
Honored Advisor
ynoT

very nice.

You can sell these to Saints coaching staff for they will have quite a time, free that is, to watch games from a far.

Tony

"Why worry about things you can't control when you can keep yourself busy controlling the things that depend on you."
Senior Contributor
Larry Doug

Very nice job. I could never be steady enough to free hand something like that.

Frequent Contributor
nannapapam

Hey guys let me tell you one more time , I think that there are more of you out there that can - I mean it - you guys need to try this . There needs to be more of these old discarded benches given new lifes and if more of you just try , you may even fool yourself - for I did ........keep you heads high and you will be lead    ...........MB

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.