bgodkin

New Bandsaw

My present bandsaw is a 18' grizzly which I have had for about 15 years, it still works OK, but I would like to upgrade to something a little more user friendly.  I use my saw for mostly resawing.  I would like something in the mid price range around a $1,000.00 with at least a 2 hp motor, and something easy to control the tension, a good dust collection port, ball bearing blade guides, and a good sized table, with an easy blade changing function. I kind of like the jet 14" JWBS, but haven't made any decisions yet. Any advice on band saw brands, and performance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bob G.

Community Manager
MSWOODcraft

Re: New Bandsaw

Hey, Bob.

I've been doing quite a bit of shopping/comparing of bandsaws in this price range, myself, in the last couple of weeks.

From what I've found based on reviews, etc., the best 2HP/220V 18" bandsaw that's anywhere near your price point is the Rikon 10-345.    It's gotten very high marks in most of the recent bandsaw shootouts.   

Yes, there are better ones out there, but you're talking closer to $2,000 or above for names like MiniMax, Laguna, etc.

Best,

Matt Seiler
Wood Online Moderator

Esteemed Advisor
Ed S.

I just picked up this grizzly..... seems to be doing a great job!  I'm happy with it for the price.....

***This correspondence has killed no trees, however, several electrons have been disturbed***
Advisor
Dave in Md

Ed S. wrote:

I just picked up this grizzly..... seems to be doing a great job!  I'm happy with it for the price.....

Another vote for the G0513

The Light of One Candle is Never Dimmed by Lighting Another.

Dave Moran
Honored Advisor
JL North GA

+1 on the Rikon 10-345.  I've had mine for over three years.  I've had to replace the lower bearings once - but they collect a lot of dust. 

Various 021a.jpg

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.