Advisor
Dave in Md

Re: Material For Table Saw Inserts

I use plywood scraps usually, I made a template out of hardboard  and just cut a few when the pile gets low.  I then use paper screw posts to make levelers.

The Light of One Candle is Never Dimmed by Lighting Another.

Dave Moran
Senior Reader
billmoy1

I used scraps of corian countertop (cutouts for sinks). Very durable, no slivers and nice and slick. It is also tapable for leveling screws.

Senior Contributor
Larry Doug

Like Tony, I make mine from UHMW, brand name Delrin. Make mine from 3/8 thick stock, then drill and tap for 1/4 inch stainless set screws for levelers. Looks and works great. Some what costly, but last forever. :smileyvery-happy:

Advisor
Floydd

+1 on the 1/2" mdf

Dave~~from Indiana

I am a great believer in luck. The harder I work, the more of it I seem to have.
Esteemed Advisor
knotscott

Mark - I really think phenolic is one of the best materials for inserts.  As FireJohn suggests, you can use old blades to cut through it.  It's very strong but can be easily machine.  Steel is great too, but is harder to machine.   The UHMW and HDPE insertsare easy to machine but tend to not be as strong and are more prone to flexing or warping.  Wood is more prone to expension, contraction, and warping.  Plywood would work ok, and possibly MDF if it's thick enough, but MDF isn't as strong as plywood, and plywood isnt' as strong as phenolic.  A good stable insert is a critical component to a well tuned saw.  If it flexes during use, or if the it doesn't sit flush, it'll upset the path of the workpiece and degrade the cut. 

"I've gotta stop treating this stuff like it grows on trees"
Veteran Contributor
tom monahan

I use MDFwith laminate .. I use  free drop sheets 26 x 50 x 3/4 from a  friend's  manufactureing retail store  fixitures . " He generates about 500 at a time..  He sends "  roll off  dumpsters"   to the dump  to get  rid of them.    I rough out  a blank cut it to 9/16 thick with the T/S  Then run them through the  planner to get 1/2" It beats  paying  about$20.00 each.

need to talk with my moderator. Been sick thus I have not been back to join the Forum HELP
Honored Advisor
krumy205747

I have used everything from MDF to plywood to hardwood to uhmw. I've never used phonelic before. Generally whatever pieces of scrap that are suitable is what I use. I use the factory insert for a template with a router and pattern bit. I mount the factory insert upside and pinch a couple pieces of veneer between it and the material I'm routing for clearance and it's a perfect(almost)fit everytime. Sometimes a little touch up sanding is required to fine tune.

Steve K

Where do I get my wood? I'm oppor"turn"istic!!

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.