Apprentice Member
apexgym

Marc sommerfeld tools and techniques

I've seen some of Marc Sommerfelds videos and am impressed with some of his techniques and tools especially his aluminum large router table with a nice large fence with inserts etc. Also his easy setting tool for bits looks awesome. His cabinet technique appears to be interesting. Prior to doing anything I might regret I thought I would ask the opinion of some of you nice folks. Is some of his stuff good while some I might want to stay clear of.

I also see he is at the woodworking shows. I will be going to the one in Shaumburg Illinois in December. His stuff may be discounted at the show. Thanks Kelly

Advisor
Dave in Md

Re: Marc sommerfeld tools and techniques

Kelly, his tongue and groove method of carcass construction is great, very strong, pretty much self squaring and a piece of cake to assemble if you are working alone.  If you saw his videos, hopefully his partner Craig will be demoing at the show, their techniques are slightly different and you can pick which works best for you.  I have both the Kreg and Marc's, CMT's I think, pocket hole jigs and use both, with his you can put the pocket hole screw to come out right next to the tongue which will really lock the joint tight.  His easyset works well for his bits only, and you have to be able to change your router bit without changing your router height as the easyset only does one bit of the matched set he utilizes the matched height of his bit pairs to automatically set the height of the second bit, and it works. I have my own router table, build your own using the features you like from others, would be my suggestion.  by the way, I prefer his pocket hole screws in the 1-1/4" length to Kreg's more bearing area under the head and they seem sharper.

The Light of One Candle is Never Dimmed by Lighting Another.

Dave Moran
Veteran Advisor
Gary K.

Re: Marc sommerfeld tools and techniques

Dave in Md wrote:

Kelly, his tongue and groove method of carcass construction is great, very strong, pretty much self squaring and a piece of cake to assemble if you are working alone.  If you saw his videos, hopefully his partner Craig will be demoing at the show, their techniques are slightly different and you can pick which works best for you.  I have both the Kreg and Marc's, CMT's I think, pocket hole jigs and use both, with his you can put the pocket hole screw to come out right next to the tongue which will really lock the joint tight.  His easyset works well for his bits only, and you have to be able to change your router bit without changing your router height as the easyset only does one bit of the matched set he utilizes the matched height of his bit pairs to automatically set the height of the second bit, and it works. I have my own router table, build your own using the features you like from others, would be my suggestion.  by the way, I prefer his pocket hole screws in the 1-1/4" length to Kreg's more bearing area under the head and they seem sharper.

Thanks for that info....I'm gonna try to remember that.

Keedy

" Anyone who isn't confused here, doesn't really know what's going on."

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure. People tell me I'm argumentative, but I beg to differ. All I know is it's bad luck to be superstitious.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.