Senior Advisor
Jon439

Lumber from a plum tree

[ Edited ]

I have a plum tree in my back yard that is leaning, the roots are starting to rot and I have decided that this will be it's final bearing season. The fruit yield has dropped off and as it has been in the ground for about 32 years, it's time to pull it. It has developed a very large burl at the base - about 20 inches wide, 18 inches tall and almost 30 inches long.

Has anyone here on the forums had any experience with harvesting fruit woods? The branches are between 6 and 8 inches diameter, and the trunk is almost 10 inches diameter, but only about 3 feet long. Any suggestions would be helpful. I would like to use the wood rather than see it disappear into the fireplace.

3888i8E0E71FA0FA3654F

3887i23D036803FE39E32

3890iA6F9B5B83EACC2E9

Thanks

Jon

Jon-439

Do nudists play strip poker?
Senior Contributor
Garry Mat

Re: Lumber from a plum tree

I had the opportunity to make a simple clock from a plum tree cut off when I was in the service inWashington state. It surely was real pretty wood. If I remember right the wood had a reddish topurple color to it also like the fruit. I can't truly remember though. Good luck and give it a try. Youcan't loose nothing but time eh. :manwink:

Thank you,
Garry E. Matlack

If you can make just the smallest change, hopefully for the better even within yourself, then you have just changed the world.
Senior Contributor
LOman

Like Garry said, give it a try. Fruit trees do tend to be kind of squirrely and want to move a lot but if you treat it right while drying and take your time it should work out for you. Anyway, what's the difference if it's firewood now or maybe firewood after you had a chance to have fun with it? :smileyvery-happy:

Ron

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."
Advisor
handyman john

Stick mostly with the trunk and the very BASE of th branches as the rest will be quite reactionary. Try to make sure its 1/4sawn.

The thicker branches that can be dried also make good PEN turning blanks.

AND the final resting place for some of the wood can be in a SMOKER (yep cremate the wood) with ham or fish absorbing the smoke.

Fruit wood is good smoking wood, especially apple and plum.

step one; understand the problem - the correct answer will follow
Advisor
Marlen_at_WOOD

Here are a couple of articles and a video here at WOOD Online that may be of assistance:

How to Find Pearls in Burls

How to Transform Found Wood into Usable Stock

free video: Resawing Found Wood

Marlen @ WOOD

Senior Contributor
Garry Mat

How do you roll it in the paper to smoke it. LOL

Thank you,
Garry E. Matlack

If you can make just the smallest change, hopefully for the better even within yourself, then you have just changed the world.
Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

Like handyman said, pen blanks if nothing else. That is a lot of burl there that has got to find a new life. When you do it and cut it into boards, please show us a pic. I'm very interested in seeing what it looks like, expecially the burl.

"If you can't hide it...advertise it!"

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.