Apprentice Member
Willy, Omaha

Looking for 1-1/2" thick Plywood

Hello All,

It's been a while since my last questions.  Well that's what happens when you've had 3 kids and a job change!  Whew, back to woodworking.

I really need your help as I need to purchase 1.5" thk. plywood and I used to buy it on-line from a Chicago co. and cannot find the link anymore!  Does anyone have a source for this thickness of plywood.  It must be plywood and it must be 1.5" thk too as this will be a woodworking table top that will be laminated. 

It is popular with the foundry industry as they make patterns out of these boards and the boards are the bottom pieces of the patterns. 

Thanks in advance all for your help/info.

Willy

Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

Re: Looking for 1-1/2" thick Plywood

Wouldn't any 'real' lumber yard be able to order it for you?

Rick

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."
Community Manager
MSWOODcraft

It's out there, but it's expensive.

Why not laminate two 3/4" pieces together?   You'll yield the same thickness and the unit cost will come way down since you can get it locally.

Best,

Matt Seiler
Wood Online Moderator

Senior Contributor
Dewey2Me1MoTime

MSWOODcraft wrote:

It's out there, but it's expensive.

Why not laminate two 3/4" pieces together?   You'll yield the same thickness and the unit cost will come way down since you can get it locally.

That would be my suggestion as well.  I just made 2 bookcases and a pantry unit using this method for the sides, and it worked out great for me.

Just call me Dewey! Anything worth dewing, is worth dewing well. I'm dewing my time in southwest Indiana.
Esteemed Advisor
Larry-Jenkins

If you mean a 1 1/2" thick, 4' x 8' piece of plywood, I'm having a hard time visualizing how to evenly bond two 3/4" 4' x 8' pieces together without special adhesives and a gigantic hydraulic press.  Not to mention the alignment problem when initially joining the two pieces together.

Splain, Matt..

Larry

Larry.. East Central Iowa

Good enough.. Isn't.
Veteran Advisor
ericjoseph2001

Just a wild guess but I'm betting you would break down the sheets close to the desired dimensions and then glue them together and trim them to size after they're glued.  Heck of a lot easier than gluing two full sheets.

Community Manager
MSWOODcraft

[ Edited ]

Cauls, clamps.

Like this, Larry....

This particular rendering shows veneer as the thin layers.   Eliminate the veneer and what you're doing is clamping two pieces of ply together and, courtesy of cambered cauls you get squeeze force in the center.     A few clamps along the perimeter, and a clamp at the end of each over/under cambered caul.  This is most definitely not rocket science.

Add as many over/under pairs of cambered cauls as needed - with 3/4" ply and just clamping two cut-to-rough-size pieces together you can realistically space them about a foot apart.

Then once done, trim to final size.

4327i0227F5FCA78FC4C5

Best,

Matt Seiler
Wood Online Moderator

Esteemed Advisor
Larry-Jenkins

Matt.. 

Nice graphics, but still no guarantee of a 100% bond like the original hydraulic platen press gives in actual factory bonding of the plies, but maybe good enough to satisfy the poster's intentions.

Guess we need a little more "table top" detail.

Larry

Good enough.. Isn't.
Esteemed Advisor
Larry-Jenkins

Hey Willy..

Another thought..  How about using a 3/0 x 6/8 solid core flush door?

Larry

Good enough.. Isn't.
Community Manager
MSWOODcraft

If the glue is spread out with an ink roller - and if there's 100% coverage of the glue between mating surfaces, then yes, there is a guaranteed bond between surfaces, even with yellow glue.

Don't worry about aligning edges.  Cut an inch + oversize and glue together.  Then do final trim-up later, after it's dried.

OR.... if you're looking to get into one of these anyway, try a vacuum veneer press.  They're not all that expensive and they provide an open door to rooms that you can't get to any other way.

Best,

Matt Seiler
Wood Online Moderator

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.