Apprentice Member
johnmartin44blues
Accepted Solution

Leg placement on a circular table

[ Edited ]

I am building a round table, maple, 1 3/4" thick, 52" in diameter.  It will have 4 legs in the shape of a "c"  & joined at the center.  4 "C" shapes joined at the back of their centers by attaching to a wood ring, then bend up to the table and the other end down to the floor. 

My question: is their a formula used or a general rule of thumb  for the distance of the placement of the feet from the center, or apart from each other, to avoid a "Tipping" factor.  This is kind of hard to explain.  I am thinking the feet have to be located approximatley 2/3 out from the center but am not sure. Or is there a distance apart the opposing feet need to be on a 52" table? I am not planning on using an apron. If so it would be as narrow as possible so not to be seen.

I want the tops of the legs to taper at the top of the C shape.  Another question might be:  where would the tops of the legs have to connect to the table top, distance from the center, to avoid a tipping factor. 

Thank you for your input. 

John

Veteran Advisor
TxMoose.

Re: Leg placement on a circular table

[ Edited ]

John,

I'm picturing something like this, table.jpgHow close am I?

For what its worth I drew it with the top of the c's hitting the 2/3's point.

For what its worth its drawn with the top of the c's 8" in from the edge, I somehow missed my 2/3's point which should be 8 11/16" from the edge.

TxMoose

Veteran Advisor
TxMoose.

Here is a shot looking straight

table 2.jpg

Honored Advisor

[ Edited ]

If I understand correctly, your saying the leg placement would be about 9 1/2" or so from the outer edge of the table, the problem comes with the outer edge of the top being about 14 1/2" out from the line between the legs which would be a sitting position.    I think the table will tip with just a little weight on the outer edge half way between the legs. I had drawn this as if it was 54" instead of 52", but it will be relative.  

If as Texas Moose drew the legs should extend out farther on the floor.  Top does not matter if secured to top.  Roly

SNAG-13031913382800.jpg

Honored Advisor
kmealy

If I remember my physics right. the table will fall over when the center of gravity extends over the footprint of the base.   So another factor is the weight / thickness of the legs.   With wispy legs, they will need to be out further than if beefy legs (extreme case would be metal legs).   Of course, the table will wobble long before it falls over.   

But other than that, I got nuthin.

Veteran Advisor
TxMoose.

Walking by the round patio tables at my neighborhood Mega-low Mart
I noticed the point the feet contact the floor is pretty darn close to being
inline with the edge of the top
Honored Advisor
krumy205747

A lot of Victorian period side tables were made in a similar fashion.

IMO, one of the worst designs ever conceived. I can't tell you how many of those I've had in my shop to repair. The point where the four legs come together is under a lot of serious stress. I can't imagine that design on a table people would be leaning on.

Steve K

Where do I get my wood? I'm oppor"turn"istic!!
Apprentice Member
johnmartin44blues

Very Close TxMoose.  except the legs will be turned and approx 1 3/8" x 3 1/4".  This will be if you rotate your legs 45 degrees.  The design you drew is spot on.  I am thinking those legs will have to place about 6" in from the edge of the table to be stable. 

thanks for your info and please add more if you can...

John

Apprentice Member
johnmartin44blues

Thats a great diagram and input kmealy, thank you.  How can you  find the center of gravity, have that formula handy?  The legs will be approx 1 1/4" x 3 1/4"  maple.  Fairly stout.  The way I was looking at it would put the footprint about 6 1/2" in from the edge of the table to be steady. 

Thank you for a great answer,  please more if you have any... 

John

Esteemed Advisor
Larry-Jenkins

Think about using only three legs, but a little bigger.  By only having three, the table will never tip because of uneven leg lengths or floor flatness.

And, it would be a little different than most..

Larry

Larry.. East Central Iowa

Good enough.. Isn't.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.