Frequent Contributor
woodhaug

Left or right hand circular saw?

Left or right handed? I there such an electric circular saw. Reason I ask is in your November issue classified ads Bora tool guide (clamp edge) shows a circular saw with the blade on the left side of a right hand cut. Or am I wrong? All my saws have the blade on the right side.

Senior Reader
Brett Grant

Re: Left or right hand circular saw?

Well, my cheap Skil direct drive has the blade on the right hand side, while my Dad's worm-drive saw has it on the left-hand side.  He's had it since the 80's, so I believe that the worm-drives have always been that way.

Brett

Frequent Contributor
woodhaug

Not ever using a worm drive I never would haver guest. Thanks for the reply.

You can learn something new everyday.

Contributor
rolyb

The better circular saws besides the worm drive also come in left and right versions.  Roly

Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

I prefer the worm drive. Much tougher in my opinion. Mostly for heavy work.

"If you can't hide it...advertise it!"
Veteran Contributor
Done it myself

I own a Porter Cable circular saw with the blade on the left. Great saw, has more power then any other circular saw I have ever owned. Also I like the blade on the left (I'm right handed) I can see the line a lot better and the dust direction is handled very well so most of the time I don't get any in my face even with the blade on the left.

Just my opinion.

Honored Advisor
kmealy

Having owned a RH saw, I got tired of peering over the saw to see the cut line.  I bought a PC LH version and now I can see what I'm doing.   I am right handed.   The reason I didn't go for a worm drive is the weight.  I picked one up from the shelf at the store and my back muscles complained.   While I don't use one all day, I didn't want such a heavy tool.

Honored Advisor
ynoT

Worm drive saws are nice for heavy work but they are heavy it self. it can make a days work very tiering.

I have Bosch and it does great work. The blade is on right side. No problem because shoe has a notch that you line up with cut line and the cut is perfect.

Tony

"Why worry about things you can't control when you can keep yourself busy controlling the things that depend on you."
Veteran Advisor
Sawdustr

Good Morning Fellows,

I was taught by my grand father to use each hand equally and therefore I am ambidextrous and have used both left and right handed saws and as mentioned the worm drive saws are a bear in weight and if you are cutting rafters all day long it can get very tiresome. One nice feature when using both saws is that you can set both on a 45º and cut jack rafters from the same side of the board,

Other wise you have to keep running back and forth in order to cut a pair of the same length jack rafters. When cutting jack rafters from the point end sometimes the guard will get stuck on the point if you are using a right handed saw.

Remember to keep your hands no closer to a spinning blade or bit than 6" for safety sake.

Respectfully,

Ralph Jones General Forums Host

http://www.ralphjoneswoodworking.com
Advisor
Tarner

Done it myself wrote:

I own a Porter Cable circular saw with the blade on the left. Great saw, has more power then any other circular saw I have ever owned. Also I like the blade on the left (I'm right handed) I can see the line a lot better and the dust direction is handled very well so most of the time I don't get any in my face even with the blade on the left.

Just my opinion.

I have the same saw.  It's a good saw if you ask me, and I haven't herd anything bad from guys that have used it ether.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.