Reader
jkambute

Kitchen Cabinet Design - CAD Software

I'm planning on remodeling my kitchen and want to build the cabinets. I'm an above average woodworker with 25+ years under my belt, and have the shop/machinery to tackle the task.  I have experience in mechanical and architectural drawing (albeit from 25+ years ago) and could design/draw it myself, but I'm looking for an easier way.   (I know that may sound lame but my job has me on the road 1-2 weeks every month so I'd rather spend my time fabricating vice drawing!) The ideal program I'd be interested in would be to plug in the basic dimensions: heighth, width, and depth and POW, it gives me the dimensions of every piece in the cabinet: rails, stiles, etc. and hopefully a list/bill of materials so I would know how much to purchase.

If I'm living in a fantasy world and this is not possible, I guess I'll "go back to the drawing board!" 

I've talked to two cabinet companies here in the Tampa, Fl area and they spent most of their energy trying to convince me I couldn't do it myself...even after they look at some of the furniture I've made. Go figure! 

Honored Advisor
ynoT

Re: Kitchen Cabinet Design - CAD Software

Head on down to Woodworking Software Forum.

Fine folks there will be happy to help you :-))

Cheers,

Tony

"Why worry about things you can't control when you can keep yourself busy controlling the things that depend on you."
Esteemed Advisor
Warped and Twisted

[ Edited ]

In my opinion, Software powerful enough to do what you want it to would be very expensive and the learning curve would most likely take almost as long to learn it as it would to build your kitchen.

Not worth the time and expense for one kitchen.

Alaskans for Global Warming

Find more about Weather in Eagle River, AK
Click for weather forecast

"The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot.. it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder it is well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better"
Community Manager
MSWOODcraft

What you're looking for is generally found as add-on modules for the big dog software programs like KCDw, Thermwood, etc.    They cost well into the thousands and they're meant to dovetail into CAM software for tool path control of CNC machines.    Well out of reach for most, and very much overkill for one kitchen job.

Try SketchUp (free from Google) and add in the Cutlist software.   The folks down in the Software board will steer you right.

Best,

Matt Seiler
Wood Online Moderator

Contributor
woodgal3

I'm in total agreement with Matt.  I use the free version of Sketchup which I love and I also use the Cutlist program. This combo has been a wonderful addition to my woodworking experience and has saved me a ton of wasted material and allows me to see the finished product before I've even started my first cut.   I can't say enough good things about both programs.  

What goes around, comes around
Veteran Advisor
Ted_in_Michigan

Jason - Aside from the various choices you have to make (cabinet style, wood choice, finishing schedule, hardware, etc) there are a lot of real basic things that you can do to make the project flow. There are a couple books out there that reduce the project to steps.

My favorite is "The Complete Kitchen Cabinetmaker" by Robert Lang. Runs anywhere between $15 - $25 + s&h. Others are by Jim  Tolpin, Danny Proulx and Udo Schmidt.

The Lang book has a couple "examples" of cut and hardware lists that I've modified and have been using. I've found them VERY helpful and time and cost saving.

I'm not familiar with a computer program that will do what you want. There are so many variables. Rail & stile dimensions will change if you go stub tenon & groove vs cope & stick vs mortise & tenon for doors, for example. Then the rails & stiles can be different widths. Seems like it'd be a pretty intensive program. By the time you figured out how to use it (if it existed) you could have the whole thing done.

However, if you've been working wood for over 25 years and doing casework at all, it would seem to me you should be able to handle this. It's not the easiest thing, but it's not rocket science, either.

Good luck.

Ted in Michigan
Go Buckeyes!
http://www.tedsworkshop.com
Apprentice Visitor
naorfox12

According to some real estate professionals today, kitchen renovations is one of the best investments any home owner can make. Many prospective buyers consider the kitchen to be a prime consideration when making a purchase decision.

Advisor
jandsjacobson99

While there certainly is such software, others are correct in saying that you would spend more time than it would be worth.  I'm currently using a program that only cost $70 (called cabinet planner), but it took quite a while to set it up with all of the building perimeters.  You basically have to tell any program how you're going to build the cabinets before it can give you cutlists and such.  That would take just about the same amount of time as it would to figure the cutlist yourself.  Figuring that stuff out is easy; sides of cabinets are all the same, except for finished ends.  So, figure out how many finished ends you will have, then unfinished ends, then bottoms and tops and backs. 

One thing; you're best to use 3/4" for the entire cabinet.  Though it's a bit cheaper to put something else in the back of the cabinet, you actually end up paying more as the waste factor is high if you use thin stuff for the backs.

Cheerio!
Sam
Honored Advisor
ynoT

Almost all of the money invested into kitchen remodeling will be recovered at point of home sale. Pool and other things wont.

Of course, don't spend $30 K on kitchen if the house is only worth $50 K.

Tony

"Why worry about things you can't control when you can keep yourself busy controlling the things that depend on you."
Veteran Advisor
rfcomm2k

To the best of my knowledge there are no products out there that will let you plug in basic dimensions and VOILA! throw out a cut list for you.

That being said let me suggest this:

While you are on the road for those 2 weeks, surely you have some down time, even though you are away from home. Do you have a laptop PC? If not, you can purchase a reasonably powerful one relatively cheap these days. Load up the laptop with a CAD program like Turbocad and start designing. Yes, I know it is expensive, but you can download a fully functional 30 day trial version for free.

Use that "road time" if available to you to learn the program and design the cabinets. Then while you are home you can start the fabrication.

Another product that seems to be exactly what you want, although I have not tried it, is called Easycab 9.0 Pro Kitchen 3D  .

Click for rfcomm2k's, PA Forecast

"If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" Ira Zolper, 1970

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.