WOOD Editor
Bob H at WOOD

Jury awards $1.5 million to man for tablesaw injury

Last week a jury in a U.S. District Court in Boston awarded a $1.5 million settlement to a Massachusetts man whose hand was injured in a tablesaw accident. According to a report in the Boston Globe, the plaintiff accused One World Technologies, maker of Ryobi power tools, of failing to include as a safety measure flesh-detection technology (such as that found on SawStop) that would have prevented an injury this serious. The lawsuit states that the inventor of this technology offered to license it to toolmakers in the early 2000s, but none agreed to a deal, citing the increased cost as a deterrent to potential customers.

So what do you folks think about this? Agree, disagree, or just add your two cents, we’d love to hear your opinion.

(If you’ve not seen this flesh-detection technology in action, here’s a free video of our tests in the WOOD magazine shop.)

Bob Hunter
Tools Editor
WOOD Magazine
Senior Contributor
Gary Hanscom

Re: Jury awards $1.5 million to man for tablesaw injury

It's amazing what seems to be getting out of control in this country. I work on the insureance side of the aisle so I realize that this settlement (if it goes uncontested) only comes out of the pockets of people that pay insurance premiums. Now manufacturers of saws will have to "notify" potential customers that in order to keep production costs to a minimum, their product does not include the mentioned safety technology. I'd be willing to bet the injured party would not have paid the difference and would have complained loudly about the cost of a product that did protect him and he could not buy anything else. Reminds me of the story about the Lynn Ladder company years ago. Seems a farmer put his ladder atop a frozen manure pile beside his barn in order to reach the roof. When the sunshine eventually came around the corner later in the day, the manure thawed a bit and the farmer toppled over when the ladder sunk into the pile. Seems the ladder company lost the lawsuit because they didn't have a sticker on the ladder that warned the user of such a peril! Now Lynn Ladder is out of business, just because of this kind of foolishness.

Gary

Senior Contributor
Dewey2Me1MoTime

If it cuts wood, it'll cut flesh!  He didn't pay for the new technology, and I'm sure the manufacturer included an owners manual that clearly states guidlines for safe use.  Even with the new technology available, I don't think i'd be sticking my fingers into a spinning blade capable of cutting building materials to test it out.  These lawsuits and the granting of the courts time for them needs to stop.  What'll be next, suing Ronnie McDonnie because you spilt your coffee and it was hot?  Oh wait, that's already happened in the land of stupid!

Just call me Dewey! Anything worth dewing, is worth dewing well. I'm dewing my time in southwest Indiana.
Advisor
Randy@Yorktown

[ Edited ]

The signal best thing that could be done for our country would be to get lawyers under control.  This is absolutely ridiculous!  Then again, the jury had something to do with this.

Pretty soon we will all have to pay for SawStop technology.  For one, I DO NOT want it.

Senior Advisor
GeorgeK-NJ

That's just wrong, but the courts allow it!  What's next suing the automaker because the $20K car you bought doesn't have auto-collision detection like the $75K M Benz. You get what you pay for!  If you loss a finger when using a "Saw-Stop", then maybe you sue. 

George K
Aberdeen, NJ

"I keep cutting and it's still to short"

"Stupid is Expensive"

Veteran Contributor
ToolKing

This country is "Lawsuit Crazy". Almost makes me wonder if the guy didn't injure himself on purpose to go after the big bucks! I am appalled that the jury gave him that much based on his argument. If I were Ryobi I would appeal the decision and question why he didn't purchase a Saw Stop Saw, if he wanted that protection.

Myron

"Woodworking tools are my passion in life."
Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

The judgement is a load of crap and I hope to high heavens that One World Technologies appeals the decision. What ever happened to someone being responsible for their own actions?

Rick

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."
Senior Contributor
hatuffej

Everyone should have the right to file a lawsuit. However, there should be an impartial review panel to determine whether a suit has sufficient merit to go forward. In addition, plaintiffs should be held liable for all costs to the defendent when plaintiff loses. Before you hammer the attorneys, consider that either the judge or the jury made the determination of win or lose. The whole system needs fixing. If this becomes pecedent, the technology inventor will be come very rich (his original goal) and every tool maker will be reuired to install it on all cutting tools. Sad day for woodworkers.

Advisor
JohnModi

mathisonr1 wrote:

The judgement is a load of crap and I hope to high heavens that One World Technologies appeals the decision. What ever happened to someone being responsible for their own actions?

Rick

Rick hit the nail with the hammer and didn't get his finger. We have gotten to a point when we do something wrong it is not my fault. They didn't tell me it would cut my finger off if I stuck it in the blade.

Did he have the blade guard in place? We don't know, but I would be willing to bet he didn't.

Was he using all of the proper safety precautions when cutting wood? Again, I would bet not or as Ralph says, "Remember to keep your hands no closer to a spinning blade or bit than 6" for safety sake."

I think it is a travesty as to the way our country has allowed people to blame someone else for all their problems or mistakes.

Esteemed Advisor
p_toad

my next best wish (other than this being appealed and overturned) would to be on a jury hearing a case like this.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.