Frequent Visitor
rboyatt1

Joining cedar

Is tongue and groove the only effective method of joining cedar boards? I have been told it is due to the charactristics of cedar.

Advisor
whitedogstr8leg

Re: Joining cedar

First question would be which cedar?   In the case of red aromatic cedar, I used just plain,old yellow glue.  On all the projects so far that I've done, I just used the same glue as any other wood I use.    This also goes for a Blanket Chest made out of Aromatic red cedar that even had raised panel sides of the same wood, and a coopered top.   Worked just fine.

smarter than a doorknob, meaner than concrete

"KNIFASIGNIKEHT"
Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

whitedogstr8leg wrote:

First question would be which cedar?   In the case of red aromatic cedar, I used just plain,old yellow glue.  On all the projects so far that I've done, I just used the same glue as any other wood I use.    This also goes for a Blanket Chest made out of Aromatic red cedar that even had raised panel sides of the same wood, and a coopered top.   Worked just fine.

Plain old glue is the way to go. In fact the glue in your joint will be stronger than the wood.

Rick

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."
Veteran Advisor
Gary K.

First of all...Welcome to the forums,

Like Rick and W. Dog said before me, there is no particular reason not to use regular yellow carpenter's glue. There are some exotics that are prone to be a wee bit oily and I usually wipe them down with a solvent before I glue them up, but cedar should be fine for glueing.

Keedy

" Anyone who isn't confused here, doesn't really know what's going on."

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure. People tell me I'm argumentative, but I beg to differ. All I know is it's bad luck to be superstitious.

Frequent Visitor
rboyatt1

It is red aromatic cedar. I appreciate the answer.

Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

Remember not to finish the cedar or it will lose the aroma.

"If you can't hide it...advertise it!"
Veteran Advisor
Sawdustr

Hey Russ,

I don't want my cedar aroma any a where cause I might need it for the cedar chest. if it's gonna aroma all over the place how can I catch it to put it in the box?

Remember to keep your hands no closer to a spinning blade or bit than 6" for safety sake.

Respectfully,

Ralph Jones General Forums Host

http://www.ralphjoneswoodworking.com
Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

If you're using it outside, use a glue designed to be used outside.

Rick

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."
Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

Sawdustr wrote:

Hey Russ,

I don't want my cedar aroma any a where cause I might need it for the cedar chest. if it's gonna aroma all over the place how can I catch it to put it in the box?

Oh Ralph....

"If you can't hide it...advertise it!"

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.