Highlighted
Advisor
Accepted Solution

How to make a routing template?

Hi all,

I'm wanting to use a recessed pull for some drawers that would require a shallow recess to be routed into the drawer face to accommodate the backside of the pull.  I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this but not sure.  Unfortunately, there is not much room for error  as the distance between the recess on the backside of the pull and the edge is only about a 1/4 inch or less in some spots so free handing it is out of the question.  I would probably use the smallest guide bushing I have and a 1/4" router bit.  My latest idea is to make an impression of the back of the pull in modeling clay and fill it with plaster to make a cast.  The cast  could then be used to make an outline of the pull which I would then offset by the distance from the outside of the bit to the outside of the bushing.  I'd then use this outline to carefully cut out a template to use for the actual routing.

I am probably making this waaaaay too complicated  and am open to a simpler suggestion.  Many thanks in advance.

Allen O.
"Today's mighty oak is nothing more than yesterday's little nut that held it's ground."
Honored Advisor

Re: How to make a routing template?

Can you clamp the pull into a vise, the take a piece of paper and pencil the shape oto it by holding it on the back of the pull and doing the pencil trick that you see on TV with indentation notes (second page of a pad)? You would have to enlarge this by whatever offset your bushing/bit combo requires. Once you have the pattern, trace it onto the wood that will be your template and rough cut it out, then use files and whatever to clean it up. Glue some cleats on your template piece to position it and then test it. This was a lot harder to type than it was for me to envision it, hope it makes sense.

"I long for the days when Coke was a cola, and a joint was a bad place to be" (Merle Haggard; 1939-2016)
Veteran Advisor

Lots of experimenting I think. Start small. Trace around the back of pull and scan that into your PC. Then print it at 110% or so, depending on the size you start with. You want to end up with a size that exactly matches the bushing offset.

After each enlargement, use rubber cement to glue that printout to a piece of MDF and cut out the template.

Now use that template to rout a shallow indentation in another piece of MDF and test fit the pull in the shallow indent.

If it fits, great. If the indent is too small, enlarge the printout as needed, glue it to the BACKSIDE of the second piece of MDF and rout out the template again. Then use this piece to rout another piece of MDF and test fit the pull.

Continue following these steps until you are satisfied with the fit.

Click for rfcomm2k's, PA Forecast

"If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" Ira Zolper, 1970
Honored Advisor

Your reply got me to thinking, maybe he could just lay the pull on the copier and get an image of the cutout he needs? Then enlarge that to the peoper size and use it????????

"I long for the days when Coke was a cola, and a joint was a bad place to be" (Merle Haggard; 1939-2016)
Advisor

I never thought of that.  I can make lots of copies very quickly even if all I did was make 20 copies in 1% increments from 101% up to 120% it would be much faster than fiddling around with clay molds and casts and whatnot.  Many thanks.

Allen O.
"Today's mighty oak is nothing more than yesterday's little nut that held it's ground."
Honored Advisor

Not sure how many of these you have, or how easily accessable they are, but i looked at a whole lot of recessed drawer pulls on Google, and it looks like most of the material need to be removed for them could be done with some judicious use of forstner bits in a drill press and minor chisel work...   but i could be completely wrong, too.. Smiley Surprised

Veteran Advisor

So how did it turn out? Did you copy and enlarge the pull on a copier, use a scanner and PC, or just wing it?

Click for rfcomm2k's, PA Forecast

"If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" Ira Zolper, 1970
Advisor

Even simpler.  Different pulls!

Allen O.