Senior Contributor
Old Woodie

How to get the bow out?

Cut out 18" x 39" birch plywood for sides of a medicine cabinet. I did not notice the bow until all the machining, sanding, installation of adjustable shelving, etc. If it is acceptable with my daughter, could I screw a board into the sides and permanently mount a shelf to try to straighten it? Other suggestions other than doing it all over? It is too hot in S.C. to enjoy doing that! Thanks!

It's not worth it to dwell on things that are not worth it!
Honored Advisor
ynoT

Re: How to get the bow out?

[ Edited ]

Not knowing the design of this, I'd say if you secure the sides the bow should go a way.

Even 3/4 material will go straight once it's secured.

If you have dado slots for shelf than you can use Kreg screw from under to join the shelf with sides.

Tony

"Why worry about things you can't control when you can keep yourself busy controlling the things that depend on you."
Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

That should help, but it could also pull the other side out. The better bet would be to install the back (use 1/2" if possible, for added strength), using the square of the back to hold the sides in shape. Best, would be to have rabitts for the back to set in.

"If you can't hide it...advertise it!"
Senior Contributor
Larry Doug

I think Russ has the best idea, I have used this method many times. :smileyhappy:

Senior Contributor
Old Woodie

Kreg to the rescue! Thanks all.

It's not worth it to dwell on things that are not worth it!

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.