Apprentice Contributor
Lee in MO

How do I make wood framed glass doors?

I'm not new to woodworking, been doing it for nearly 40 years.  A friend asked me build a display gun case but I have never made anything with wood framed glass doors before and I need some advice.  Each door will measure about 17 inches wide by 46 tall.  Now my questions:

Is a glass door that size realistic?
What thickness glass would be appropriate?
What size does the frame need to be to support the glass?
What technique does one use for assembling the glass to the frame?

Veteran Contributor
Jakestheman

Re: How do I make wood framed glass doors?

I would probably install a rail at the midpoint of the door so that the glass would measure 17x 23" (roughly) depending on the width of the rail.  This way your glass is not so big and the door will still look good.  Installing the glass I would use clear silicone in addition to the glazing points that are pointed and you push in with a screwdriver.  As far as the frame size, I make all my stiles and rails 2 1/4"  wide which will give you plenty of strength and stability, especially when adding a middle rail for the glass.  I think you will need the extra stability there.  Of course you could always go the plexiglass route, but I like the real glass myself.  Just my thoughts--I'm sure others will chime in here.  Good luck--Ron

Honored Advisor
-Paladin-

If this is a gun case then you likely will want to lock this, therefore you need to use tempered safety or laminated glass.

- A door this size is not a big deal, just remember that glass is heavy and the door frame, hinges and attachment points should take that into consideration.

- As you want it to safe I would use 3/16th.

- Size of the frame would be dependent on the type and strength of the wood, but certainly a little heavier than if it was a regular wood panel door.

- On glass this size I would leave about 1/16th clearance around the glass. Put the glass in place and run a light bead of silicon around the perimeter before applying the 1/4 round.

~PALADIN~
Wood'nBoats&Stuff
Esteemed Advisor
john880

[ Edited ]

All great advice from above,

Check out the plans Wood Magazine has in their issue of, Sept. 2008 In my opinion its a pretty good'n. 4 1/2 pages of pictures and exploded details. Very easy to follow.

One thing that I would advise is to make your top & bottom rail of you door larger in width. You could make it/them into a crown, small raised panel, etc. This would give you door sides, stiles, a larger anchor. 

TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN,
YET AT THE SAME TIME, THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE,,, SO MAKE THE BEST OF IT WHILE YOU CAN, AND ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS.

Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

Making glass paneled doors are pretty much the same as making a flat paneled door. Use tempered glass for safety reasons (it breaks differently).

Here is a link to the Wood plans previously mentioned.

http://www.woodstore.net/codiandgunca.html

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.