Advisor
Marlen_at_WOOD

Hot off the Press--Great Garage Makeovers

[ Edited ]

woodstore_2092_835941.gifWe varied a bit from our standard woodworking newsstand special titles with our latest publication Great Garage Makeovers.  We scoured the internet and worked with our own readers to publish what they had done in their garages or shops to make it more friendly work (and play) environment. We covered Trevor Dyck's step-by-step method for creating custom tool drawers using foam inserts, we've followed along as Mike and Marta Clark applied an epoxy floor coating to their new workshop, and we worked with David Worly as he painted "flames" on the walls of his Wichita shop.

In addition to the practical shop-tested how-to info, we've got numerous gallery photos of what guys did to their "man cave" to make it into both their play and work area. If your garage is your "home" at home. This magazine has hundreds of ideas on what you can do to further outfit this special "work" area. Marlen @ WOOD

Community Manager
MSWOODcraft

Re: Hot off the Press--Great Garage Makeovers

Man... there are some REALLY nice 'man-caves' shown in that issue.  The occasional Porsche in the garages shown doesn't hurt, either.

I almost forgot what a garage can look like when it's not full of woodworking tools/debris.   

I'm definitely saving this issue for a time in life when I've got a garage back again, not sharing duties with a shop.   There's an idea or two that look really useful!

Thx for the issue, Marlen + Company!

Best,

Matt Seiler
Wood Online Moderator

Esteemed Advisor
knotscott

Nice!  Inspiration and hope for my garage shop!

"I've gotta stop treating this stuff like it grows on trees"
Senior Contributor
rph816

As a corvette owner, we don't think Porsche is all that.  However, I have to say, with the money invested in a Porsche, I would think you wouldn't want to (or need to) share woodworking space with the car.  Who knows, maybe one of these days I'll drive the vette up to the woodshop to show I'd have room for it if I wanted to (which would take a serious cleaning and some rearranging of tools). 

Ryan

Community Manager
MSWOODcraft

[ Edited ]

Check out the issue, Ryan.   These are not wood shops.  Nary a woodworking tool in sight. They're man caves, often with (and for!) really nice automobiles.

Best,

Matt Seiler
Wood Online Moderator

Esteemed Advisor
p_toad

I don't understand the part that "it's a garage and there's space for other stuff in there..."     :smileyvery-happy:

Advisor
Dave in Md

Hey Marlen, y'all did a bang up job on this one, something for everyone.  You have some woodworkers a lot of gearheads, general storage as well as yard tool storage that actually looks good and entertainment areas for those who want or need that.  My main interest was in the floor, I never gave vinyl tile a thought,  and lighting sections, although I do need to do some cabinets on cleats some day.

My question is how are you going to market this to the other interest groups?  I have never seen WOOD in the local Advance Auto Parts store.

The Light of One Candle is Never Dimmed by Lighting Another.

Dave Moran
Advisor
handyman john

WHAT A GREAT BOOK! I love seeing how the "other half" lives. Some of those facilities make us look like paupers HOWEVER the ideas can easily be incorporated in to any shop make-over.

I especially like the ceiling, lighting, and floor treatments used. Thinking outside the box makes these shops real show-cases and WORKING shops to boot.

Thanks for the insiders view of these spectacular shops. I have a buddy who will love the ceiling ideas for his 1 car garage make-over.

step one; understand the problem - the correct answer will follow
Frequent Contributor
Vibart2

I picked it up off the Magazine rack thumbed through it & thought I used to be interested in this before I got interested in woodworking & put it back on the rack. I even gave away my tool roll around & built a cabinet for my CMS, Planer, MSMTS26.jpgspindle sander & mortiser as well as to hold all my mechanics tools. If I ever have a garage I will probably totally rebuild my 78 F250 straight 6 the whole truck not just the engine.

Veteran Contributor
nubby968204

Great job Marlen.  Thanks for the courtesy copy.  Nice working with you and Carl.  I see alot of stuff in there that I can use........especially from that dude on page 110.   LOL :smileywink:

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.