Veteran Advisor
Sawdustr

HOW TO AVOID SNIPE

Good Morning Friends,

To avoid infeed and out feed snipe, you will need to elevate the board slightly on the infeed and out feed sides of the planer because, if the board is not elevated slightly and before it reaches the outfeed roller, the board would be raised up by the end of the board below the end of the infeed table/rollers which would allow the end of the board a little higher into the knives and then on the out feed side if there is no support it would allow the end of the board to be thrusted up into the knives after it cleared the roller and you would have an outfeed snipe.

I know that the last sentence was rather long and state all in one breath but, it does merit looking into. This is how I eliminated any snipe I had in any board I put through the planer.

Remember to keep your hands no closer to a spinning blade or bit than 6" for safety sake.

Respectfully,

Ralph Jones General Forums Host

http://www.ralphjoneswoodworking.com
Advisor
TNT Sr

Re: HOW TO AVOID SNIPE

Morning Ralph -

So do you just raise in the in/out feed tables or use a sled?

Troy

Remember, you're just one mistake away from a lesson learned...
Veteran Contributor
Freznel

I learned that to bring down the snipe on a board, if you can, rotate the board off straight and keep changing angle and board direction, and on your final pass when you feed it straight, there is little, if any, snipe that is noticeable and can be just sanded away.

Mike
Veteran Advisor
Sawdustr

Hi Fellows,

What I am trying to reflect is that when in feeding or out feeding one should raise the end of the board till it engages the out feed roller and also hold the board up a little on the end if it is a 8' or 10' board because when it clears the infeed roller and left unsupported on the outfeed side the weight of the board will cause the board end that is still in the planer to be raised up into the knives which will cause the snipe.

I set up a roller stand and allow the boards to be at least 1/4" above the infeed table/rollers till the board is successfully engaged with the out feed roller. By doing this will help the board from getting a snipe on either end.

Remember to keep your hands no closer to a spinning blade or bit than 6" for safety sake.

Respectfully,

Ralph Jones General Forums Host

http://www.ralphjoneswoodworking.com
Advisor
wadriscoll1

[ Edited ]

Just to add my two cents worth if you have WOOD issue 120 or the DVD's there's a short article on page 94 in reducing snipe on portable planers. Dull knives also tend to lift the ends of workpieces as the board enters and exits the planer. - Willy

Esteemed Advisor
Larry-Jenkins

3655i82B8DD8CA8A391AF   Hey Ralph..

Here's how I do it.  Don't even have to "play" with the wood..  just pass 'er through.  No snipe.

Larry

Larry.. East Central Iowa

Good enough.. Isn't.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.