Contributor
crazyray

HOME MADE SKYLIGHT FOR STORAGE SHED

Hey all, I'm looking for plans and/or advice on how to make custom skylights for a 12x14 storage shed I'm building.

Thanks in advance.

Raymond

Raymond
www.dogwoodtales.com
Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

Re: HOME MADE SKYLIGHT FOR STORAGE SHED

Why not just use one of THESE.

Rick

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."
Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

Took another look and found this.

Rick

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
Contributor
crazyray

Thanks for the reply.

Where did you find the picture for your second post?

I would use a stock size skylight except for two reasons.

First, I already made the roof with the rafters at 16"oc. So this is an after thought and I'd rather make a couple 15" wide skylights than cut rafters.

Second, I'm cheap and don't like the prices I'm finding on skylights - not for a storage shed anyway.

I was thinking I could fabricate my own custom size skylights by making a simple rectangular box with a clear plexiglass top, well sealed of course - proper flashing etc.

Has anyone done this successfully or know where I might find plans?

Thanks

Ray

Raymond
www.dogwoodtales.com
Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

I've done what you've suggested on deck roofs. Be sure to hang the Plexi over the edges by an inch or so and you should be fine. Also, flash or somehow seal the attachment to the roof. It may not be perfect, but should work.

"If you can't hide it...advertise it!"
Advisor
Randy@Yorktown

Don't know whether this will help.  Take a look.  http://www.shedwindowsandmore.com/Skylights.html

Senior Advisor
wirebender

[ Edited ]

Raymond -

Why not use corrugated polycarbonate roof panels?  I added a screened in sun room to my home a number of years ago, and used 2' x 10' polycarbonate panels to do the entire roof (10' x 24').  It was available in clear, smoke, and green colors...I used the smoke which lets in a lot of light. 

Dave.

I just looked...Rick also suggested the same product!

There's gotta be a better way
Esteemed Advisor
smallpatch1

If you are putting a metal roof on then you can get the same shaped fiber glass panels to go where you want to

let light in. I put a six foot piece every so often all the way around my big barn up near the top of the wall and never have to use any other lighting during the day. There is no building anything in for the fiber glass panels are shaped exactly like the metal. 

Jess

Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

crazyray wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

Where did you find the picture for your second post?

I just googled, "how to build a custom skylight". I found the drawing under skylights for green houses or something like that.

Rick

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
Contributor
crazyray

I think my post didn't, well, post. Sorry if this duplicates.

If what Randy suggests is what I think it is - that is a skylight panel that just mounts flush to the roof deck with the shingles and sealed with flashing etc - then I think I like this option the best. I didn't know this was available.

Does anyone know where I can get these in the Cincinnati, OH area? I'm ready to put these on now.

I already have the deck on the roof, so using those corrugated panels is not an option there. I have considered using them on the south facing gable, but while I would enjoy the abundant sun light in the shed, I don't think I would like the look.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Ray

Raymond
www.dogwoodtales.com

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.