Honored Advisor
kmealy

HD plywood?

[ Edited ]

I got a family request to build a bathroom cabinet.  I need to rent a Home Depot truck in the near future to pick up some CDX and transport some large furniture on the way home.   I'm wondering if there is a decent plywood at Home Depot these days?  I have seen really crappy import stuff and want to avoid it, but don't have enough quanitity need to order in from my regular supplier.

It's just I will have the truck, be at HD, and otherwise, it'd take me a couple of hours to get the space in my mini-van to haul a sheet from anyplace else.

Esteemed Advisor
Larry-Jenkins

Re: HD plywood?

CDX is normally used for house sheathing.  Not too pretty.

Or, maybe I don't understand your question..

Larry

Larry.. East Central Iowa

Good enough.. Isn't.
Honored Advisor
JL North GA

My local HD has some 1/2" and 3/4" Chilean plywood.  Fairly good both sides with a good "A" side.  Runs about $32/sheet for the 3/4".  They call it Arauco plywood  http://www.homedepot.com/p/Arauco-32-sq-ft-Pine-Cabinet-Panel-781850/202519005#.UZConEphoVA

I've used it for cabinets.  It is supposed to have an exterior glue - but I haven't tested that.  I've routed edges on it and it looks reasonable with few if any voids.  It is less expensive than the Sandeply.

I like it and I've been using it for a couple of years. It makes good theatrical sets and good cabinets.  YMMV.

Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

MY experience with HD ply has been mixed. I've learned to inspect EACH sheet for voids (at least where they can be seen. If several of the sheets have voids where visible, I'd leave the entire pile alone, but if they look pretty stable, I'd think you're good.

"If you can't hide it...advertise it!"
Honored Advisor
kmealy

CDX (actually, I misspoke, it will be BCX) is for a different application.

Larry.Jenkins wrote:

CDX is normally used for house sheathing.  Not too pretty.

Or, maybe I don't understand your question..

Larry

Esteemed Advisor
Larry-Jenkins

BCX is great stuff.  The "B" side has no "footballs."  But like Russ said, ya gotta watch what you buy.

I used a piece of BCX for my assembly table.

Larry

Larry.. East Central Iowa

Good enough.. Isn't.
Honored Advisor
kmealy

[ Edited ]

I used 5/8" BCX for my drawer/shelf unit in the van.   Want to do a large shelf unit in the shop to hold all those tools sitting in blow-molded boxes, parts bins, etc.

The cabinet grade plywood is for a linen cabinet for daughter's getting remodeled bathroom.   Make it to match the vanity they're buying.

I thought there was a brand of plywood that people were happy with, (Columbia???)

Any preferences on Sandeplywood vs Birch plywood (about the same price)

Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

I've used plenty of the birch with no problems. The sandeply I used for a painted project and liked how it finished. I think at HD, they might have a good batch then a bad one. Just watch it.
"If you can't hide it...advertise it!"
Honored Advisor
Howard Acheson

Home Depot primarily sells plywood from Columbia Forest Products.  Forest is the largest plywood manufacturer in North America.  Their products are top quality and tend to be more expensive than imports so Home Depot also sells some imported plywoods.  You need to know what you need and what you are buying.  Another factor is that all plywood manufacturers have different grades of plywood.  For example, most home centers sell construction graded plywood which is intended for hidden applications or painting.  Appearence grades are the ones to use if you want to stain or clear coat.  You won't find much of a selection of appearence grade plywood at home centers.  You need to go to a real wood dealer and be prepared to pay more.

Howie..............
Honored Advisor
stick48668

RussBoyd wrote:

MY experience with HD ply has been mixed. I've learned to inspect EACH sheet for voids (at least where they can be seen. If several of the sheets have voids where visible, I'd leave the entire pile alone, but if they look pretty stable, I'd think you're good.

kinda comes around to...

HD sells real plywood???

this would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
if only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.