Contributor
Rock Dr

Gluing up cedar for outside use

Hi,

I want to make a deck railing but am having a problem getting some 2x4 and 4x4 cedar for the posts and rails.  I can get 1x stock relatively cheap.  I was thinking of gluing up some thick boards. for the rails.  I can use PT for the posts and then wrap it with the 1x to make a nice post.

What glue would be good for face gluing two 1x4 cedar boards to make a 2x4?  It will need to stand up to the weather and be strong enough for a deck rail.

Dave

Senior Contributor
dbgessner

Re: Gluing up cedar for outside use

Do your best to find the right dimensioned cedar.  Even if you have to drive an hour or so, it would be worth it for your intended project.

David

Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

To answer your question, Titebond III would do the trick.

"If you can't hide it...advertise it!"
Honored Advisor
krumy205747

RussBoyd wrote:

To answer your question, Titebond III would do the trick.

It will but some precautions are necessary. There have been some issues with titebond iii and cedar.

From the Titebond website;

"Can Titebond Wood Glues be used for projects using teak, cedar or redwood?
Because a surface layer of oil or tannic acid tends to build up on these species, they can present a problem. For either type of wood, planing, jointing, or sanding shortly before bonding will remove the contaminating layer, and allow successful bonding. Otherwise, the surface being bonded will need to be wiped with acetone to remove the layer. Acetone dries quickly, and allows bonding almost immediately after the surfaces have been wiped."

Steve K

Where do I get my wood? I'm oppor"turn"istic!!
Contributor
Rock Dr

What about poly? Gorilla Glue or other brand?

Honored Advisor
stick48668

what about PL Premium construction adhesive???

this would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
if only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Senior Contributor
Allen O.

I did a similar project a few years ago by glueing up 3/4 cedar with mitered corners to look like an 8 x 8 post.  I used gorilla glue and it has held up in direct sunlight for over 10 years.  Now, having said that, anywhere the glue is exposed it will weather much darker than the cedar.  I would expect exposed glue lines will eventually show as well.

Allen O.
"Today's mighty oak is nothing more than yesterday's little nut that held it's ground."
Honored Advisor
ynoT

stick48668 wrote:

what about PL Premium construction adhesive???

Tom Silva use that on the show when helping to build a deck.

Tony

"Why worry about things you can't control when you can keep yourself busy controlling the things that depend on you."
Honored Advisor
ynoT

dbgessner wrote:

Do your best to find the right dimensioned cedar.  Even if you have to drive an hour or so, it would be worth it for your intended project.

David

And a very good suggestions, David. I second that.

Tony

"Why worry about things you can't control when you can keep yourself busy controlling the things that depend on you."
Veteran Advisor
rfcomm2k

I assume you are not painting the deck rails, so you need to be sure the glue used is not affected by UV light. That being said, most Urethane glues are not useable when exposed to UV. I have personal experience with Gorilla Glue specifically.

Click for rfcomm2k's, PA Forecast

"If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" Ira Zolper, 1970

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.