Frequent Contributor
dlc921
Accepted Solution

Glue/sawdust mix

Is there a formula for mixing glue and sawdust to use for nail hole filler?  Or just trial and error?  I just built 3 end tables with black walnut and have a few holes to fill.  Thanks.

Senior Reader
Joseph Mulherin

Re: Glue/sawdust mix

I have mixed them up to a peanutbutter consistancy using white glue. Haven't used the new glues yet. Don't mix too much at first and try it out on a back space to see how it looks.

Joe Mulherin, Sr  in Indio, Ca

Honored Advisor
amateur60

In my opinion that's not a good filler.  It won't really match in color.  Best, apply your finish all except for the last coat or two of top coat, and then choose a wax or shellac stick filler to fill the holes. 

Better yet, for next time, work on your design.  End tables shouldn't need any nails at all, and in particular not any that would be visible enough to want filling.   

Frequent Contributor
dlc921

Thanks for the tips.  I attached corbels to the table sides and used an air nailer to attach them.  These are the only nails.  But will try your advise and work on something different if I build more.

Senior Reader
handsaw

I did that once when I was fixing up an oak TV stand.  I mixed oak sawdust with yellow wood glue and applied to missing section of table and in the end it was almost invisible.  I would suggest to use the same wood as your work for best color fit.  As I remember I overfilled the area and had to sand it down to match and then stained it a little.  It worked out well for me, but I must say it was not a very fine piece of furniture.

Community Manager
MSWOODcraft

Glue + sawdust isn't a wining combination for fine work that is to be stained or dyed.   Glue resists stain, as has been mentioned.  Anecdotes to the contrary are cases of extreme(!) luck. 

As the contrary view, how many times have we collectively bemoaned glue spots creating problems with a finish?  The added sawdust is immaterial - you're going to experience the same resist of the glue to the color coat.

Wait until almost the last stage of finishing and apply a matching colored filler.  Then apply the last clearcoat.

Best,

Matt Seiler
Wood Online Moderator

Esteemed Advisor
Larry-Jenkins

Try this..

[ Edited ]

Scrape the end grain of a scrap piece of the same walnut you used with a sharp scraper.  As you scrape, small shavings will  come off.  Try and capture them in some manner: bag; paper towel, etc.

After you have a small supply of the end grain shavings, use ONLY enough white glue to barely hold the mixture together.  Mix well, apply with a putty knife a little proud of the surface.  Sand smooth and level after drying.  You should not be able to see the filler if you mixed it right.

I hope you didn't stain the Black Walnut.

Larry

Larry.. East Central Iowa

Good enough.. Isn't.
Frequent Contributor
dlc921

Re: Try this..

Thanks for everyone for the tips/advice.  Yes, we stained the walnut a light blue...  Just kidding, no it is only getting a clear finish.  We chose the wood for the color and grain.  Can't wait to get the finish done and get them in the living room.  This has been a two year project.

Contributor
bloodwood

I had good luck with it as well. I was making a red oak hand rail for my stairs and had to notch one of my posts and over cut it. So I mixed some glue with the left over dust and it looks pretty good. I mixed a bunch on a flat piece of plywood until I had the right consistency.
Advisor
Rrandy

I had a few nail holes to fill in some oak at one time and I made a "toothpick" out of some scrap. I tried for 1/8 inch so I could drill out the nail hole to 1/8 and then put just a spot of thick CA glue on the end and stuck it in the hole. A careful job with a knife, a little sanding and it was barely noticeable. Play with a piece of scrap and you'll come up with something that looks great.

Never do anything you don't want to explain to the EMT.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.