Contributor
jagdesign

Glue Expiration Date

I'm having trouble finding my note on the way date codes are marked on Titebond Original.

I'd also like to start a one man war to get all glue and epoxy manufacterers to print the expiration dates on their bottles.  I personally an tired of throwing money in the trash when I can't find this code.

I'ts been a long time since I've been on this forum I hope I came back to the right place.

Thanks PAPAGYM 

Advisor
Superglide

Re: Glue Expiration Date

Not sure. Once opened it doesn't matter though. I use TB III mostly, and always use it up way before any expiration date would get close. What size containers do you buy?

Veteran Contributor
davidtonetti2000

I just went down and looked at my bottle of titebond glue and it had a 10 and a number and 09 at the end of it all it was located at the top on the side of the bottle. They also have a number you can call on the side of the bottle and a web site www.titebond.com maybey they have a contact section or you can give them a call and let them tell you what the code means and where the location is. Hope this helps,and yes I know the glue can get costly.

Veteran Contributor
davidtonetti2000

Dave Tonetti here again, I just went to their web sit and went under facts heading and it explains the shelf life and will hope fully answer all your questions. Hope this helps

Frequent Contributor
crazyluigi

For Titebond glues, the first number is the last digit of the year and the letter after that corresponds the month of the year with A being January, B being February, etc.  For example, if the bottle said 9Cxxxx,  the glue would be manufactured in March of 2009.  The four digits after that is just the lot number.

Honored Advisor
kmealy

[ Edited ]

Elmer's glue products.

----------------------

The packaging date code system is described as follows:

* The first letter is the year the product was packaged (e.g., I=2003, J=2004, K=2005, etc.).

* The next two numbers represent the day of the month the product was packaged. 

* The next letter represents the month the product was packaged (e.g., A=January, B=February, C=March, etc.).

* The next number represents the shift the product was packaged (e.g., 1=first shift, 2=second shift, 3=third shift).

As an example, J08L1 was packaged December 8, 2004, first shift. If my fingers are working right, look for a first character of O this year. The bottle I got yesterday O28A161 --> 28 January 2009 first shift. Man, this is harder than Chinese arithmetic.

Titebond

--------

The first number is the final digit, of the year in which the glue was produced. So 8 would be 2008, 9-2009...

The following letter represents the month in which the glue was produced. A=January B=February... "I" isn't used, as it can be confused with the number one.

You can ignore the remainder of the code.

Liquid Hide Glue has a non-encoded date as it has a shorter shelf life.

Senior Advisor
GeorgeK-NJ

Taken from the site.

What does the term shelf life mean in regard to Titebond Wood Glues?
Shelf life is a conservative estimate of the minimum time period that we would expect a given product to remain usable, when stored as directed. This concept might also be called "useable service life" or "storage life", and it necessarily refers to both the physical handling properties and the ability of the product to perform properly. When used in reference to wood glues, reaching the stated shelf life does not mean that a product will "expire" or become unusable. Instead, we view the stated shelf life of most of our glues merely as a guideline to avoid potential aging concerns. In reality, as long as products like Titebond Original, Titebond II and Titebond III remain fluid, without drastic change in appearance, they will continue to perform as intended.

What is the shelf life of Titebond Wood Glues?
Our literature states the shelf life of all of our glues as one year. Titebond Liquid Hide Glue includes an expiration date on the bottle, because it can progressively lose its ability to dry hard, and this change is not visually obvious. Titebond Polyurethane Glue has a one year shelf life in an unopened container, but is useable as long as the glue remains fluid. Polyurethanes, however, are designed to react when exposed to moisture and can sometimes begin to cure after the bottle has been opened, and solidify.

Most of our yellow and white glues, including Titebond Original and Titebond II, remain usable beyond two years. Should Titebond Original become thick and stringy, or Titebond II turns into an orange colored gel, these changes signify that the glue is no longer usable. The minimum shelf life of Titebond III is stated as one year, when stored appropriately at room temperature. Titebond III is expected to last beyond its stated shelf life. If thickened, shake vigorously by firmly tapping bottle on a hard surface until product is restored to original form.

George K
Aberdeen, NJ

"I keep cutting and it's still to short"

"Stupid is Expensive"

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.