Apprentice Member
william.warfield

Fireplace mantel height?

I need some advice from my fellow woodworkers. I am building a mantel for my fireplace. The fireplace is elevated about 8" to 10" off the floor on a brick hearth. The width, including off set and pilaster width will be about 78",and the fire box is about 38" high. What would be an appropiate height for the mantel. I am 6' tall and my wife is 5' 6" tall. I guess what I'm asking is there a standard ht. for a mantel? Thanks.

Bill W.

Community Manager
MSWOODcraft

Re: Fireplace mantel height?

[ Edited ]

Mantle heights - and protrusions from the wall for the bits that are above the firebox - are functions of where the firebox is, not height from the ground.

There are two setbacks you need to know about mantles.   For a wood-burning fireplace you can't have combustible materials left/right and above which are closer than (I believe....) six inches from the box.   For an enclosed gas burner that changes to three inches if memory serves.

For the frieze board, architrave and mantle you need to be (again, if I remember correctly...) a minimum of thirteen inches from the box.   It's been a number of years since I built one and don't recall the distances off of the top of my head any more.

Check your local building codes for the offset distances and for the minimum distances above the fire box for the mantle.   It has everything to do with combustability and which type of fireplace you have.    If somebody here can provide the building code distances that'd be great, and would also knock the info back into my noggin.

Best,

Matt Seiler
Wood Online Moderator

Frequent Contributor
cannon84

If it a propane ,NG or electric insert there will be a distance/projection chart in the owners/installation manual. For instance, I built several with a 39 1/4 leg up to a breast board that was 2 1/4 inch out from the firebox. If the breast had been out more It would have needed to be higher away from the firebox. Same on side clearances. Most of the ones I built were between 56 and 62 inches from the floor to the top of the mantel shelf.

Cannon

Frequent Contributor
LUTTY

All pre-fab fireplaces have a guide in the install book for clearances. Each manufacture is different so go by the book to be safe. Masonry goes by with of the mantle the more it sticks out from the face the higher it has to be from the opening.         lutty

Apprentice Member
william.warfield

Matt: Thanks for your response. I am aware of the setbacks for combustible material; it's 8" R & L and, I think, 13" clearence overhead. Your mantel total ht. is what I am asking. The width of the frieze varies from project to project. How high is the architrave from the floor usually?

Bill

Apprentice Member
william.warfield

Cannon: I think you answered my question. I replied to Matt's response before I looked back at my post. Thanks to all.

Bill W.

Apprentice Visitor
highkey

Matt,

you asked for the codes for mantles.  Here is a website with an excellent explanation of the NFPA code for combustable materials [eg mantles] around fireplaces.

http://www.fireplacesnow.com/mantel.html

John

Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

highkey wrote:

Matt,

you asked for the codes for mantles.  Here is a website with an excellent explanation of the NFPA code for combustable materials [eg mantles] around fireplaces.

http://www.fireplacesnow.com/mantel.html

John

Very nice first post. Welcome to the forum and here's your first kudo.

Rick

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."
Community Manager
MSWOODcraft

Thank you, sir!!

Best,

Matt Seiler
Wood Online Moderator

Apprentice Visitor
annie449

I have written a blog on Fireplace Mantel Personal Planning Considerations which is worth checking out.

http://fireplacescoop.com/fireplace-mantel-personal-planning-considerations

Hope you find something of interest.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.