Frequent Contributor
Lazeegurl

Dust Hood for Miter Saw

Just got a new Ridgid miter saw and the hose I bought to attach it  into my dust collection system is so stiff I can't bend it.  So I need to build some kind of dust hood.  Unless there is a very soft, flexible hose available.  I have not been able to find any plans/suggestions in my magazine collection but I know there must be something out there.  Can you help?  Thanks.

Senior Advisor
Woodburner

Re: Dust Hood for Miter Saw

I just happen to have a Rigid shop vac. with a 2 1/4 " hose . It is very flexible , but not sure which saw model you might have purchased. There are various hoses out on the market that should just be able to attache to back of the miter saw.

LEO
Forums Host
Advisor
PeteM

The typical 1.5 to 2" ports on miter saws won't deliver the air flow for proper capture in most setups.  You might consider just getting a hood/scoop (try link below) and clamp it behind your saw.  The entry opening is wide and high enough to cover the "spread" of dust coming out the back of the saw.  The port on my saw points above the hood, so I just put an elbow on the port:  dust is deflected down into the hood.  Simply plugging the port would also work.  Good luck with it.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000223WV/ref=asc_df_B0000223WV2089932?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&li...=

Honored Advisor
kmealy

I tried building my own hood with poor results.   In addition to the big gulp, I've heard good things about FastCap's http://www.fastcap.com/estore/pc/ChopShop-Saw-Hood-3p113.htm

Frequent Contributor
Lazeegurl

I have a R4110 compound miter saw.  The port on my saw measures 2 3/4" diameter and pretty much directs straight out the back.   The connecting port to my dust collection is about 24" up on the wall with a 4" port facing straight down.  (It worked well with my old saw having a 2+" hose and reducer connections).  There is not too much room behind the saw to be able to bend a larger hose so am thinking that a built hood might work the best.  I am not sure how to built it though.  Any ideas? 

Advisor
PeteM

Use a "capture box":  make it 24--30" wide, 12--16" high, 6--8" deep (check the pattern of dust coming out the back of the saw), which should allow the MS to swing around.  Put two ports in the bottom of the box, twin the ducts.  If you have a "full" DC system, a pair of 3" taps in the bottom should develop enough velocity to "reach" into the extents of the box.  MS tend to "shotgun" dust backward, so a wide box captures, and also stays out of the way.

Frequent Contributor
Lazeegurl

Sounds like a good plan.  About what I had in mind but I needed another opinion.  Thanks for your help.

Senior Advisor
firejohn

If you don't care what the neighbor's think, a large plastic tote can be turned into a SCMS dust hood.  Mine has a 6"x12" HVAC register box with an adapter for my 6" flex hose to connect to from my DC.  Works pretty good.

This photo is actually the first iteration.  The problem I had with a SCMS was when I needed to swing the table for an angle cut, the slider would hit the tote.  I've since replaced this design with an even larger box that lays on its side, with the dust port on the bottom (or side of the tote).  Rather than that piece of white hose to direct the port into the box, I now have a cardboard deflector there.  The hose was actually restricting the flow and dust would blow out the side of the saw.

Advisor
Floydd

PeteM wrote:

Use a "capture box":  make it 24--30" wide, 12--16" high, 6--8" deep (check the pattern of dust coming out the back of the saw), which should allow the MS to swing around.  Put two ports in the bottom of the box, twin the ducts.  If you have a "full" DC system, a pair of 3" taps in the bottom should develop enough velocity to "reach" into the extents of the box.  MS tend to "shotgun" dust backward, so a wide box captures, and also stays out of the way.

Yep!!

Dave~~from Indiana

I am a great believer in luck. The harder I work, the more of it I seem to have.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.