Apprentice Member
dprue1

Drilling oil substitute?

I need to do some metal drilling on the press today but could not find any cutting oil at HD. Can I substitute something like 3-1 oil , WD40 or something else without burning up the bit? I am a novice so help would be great.

Thanks

Dave

Frequent Contributor
ColoEd

Re: Drilling oil substitute?

Dave, I have used plain 30 wt oil many times over the years.  I have a squirt can sitting beside my drill press ready to grab when I start drilling metal.  Probably not as good as cutting oil but for typical work, I find it does fine.

Ed

Try not to become a man of success, but rather to become a man of value. Albert Einstein
Veteran Advisor
joebtool

Dave, sometimes you can find the cutting oil in the plumbing dep't as it is also used for pipe threading. If none at HD or lowes try a plumbing supply house. If all that fails any light oil is better than none.

Joe B.

Joe B.

"Better to wear it out than to let it rust."
Apprentice Member
dprue1

perfect thanks. It occured to me to try some bar oil from the chain saw. Will try both and see.

Have a great weekend.

Dave

Veteran Advisor
Gary K.

Just for reference; kerosene works great for aluminum.

Keedy

" Anyone who isn't confused here, doesn't really know what's going on."

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure. People tell me I'm argumentative, but I beg to differ. All I know is it's bad luck to be superstitious.

Honored Advisor
stick48668

kerosene for aluminum.. wax for stainless. most any oil for steel...

this would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
if only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.