Visitor
carlpmertz

Drawer slides

I am about to build an enertainment center with some shelves on top and one long drawer on the bottom. This drawer will be six inches high and 55 inches long. I am concerned that a drawer this long will be hard to open and maybe twist when we open it. Any suggestions about the type of drawer slides to use.
Senior Contributor
hatuffej

Re: Drawer slides

Hi Carl

A drawer 55  inches long is a long one. Can you divide it in 2 equal drawers of 26-27 inches? You didn't state the depth of the drawer. I've used ball-bearing slides from Accuride on drawers 30 inches wide. They do wobble when opened. However, I installed 2 drawer pulls to focus an even pulling action, thus keeping wobble to a minimum.

Good luck!

Esteemed Advisor

One thing to watch for with a big drawer is that the unit does not tip over when the drawer is loaded and open.

Just a thought, I was wondering if anyone used a center slide along with the ball bearing slides.  This I think would stop the wobble when opening and closing.   Also as suggested use ball bearing slides on the sides and two handles.   Roly

Senior Contributor
Mr-Ron

carlpmertz wrote:
"This drawer will be six inches high and 55 inches long."

"High", I can understand, but "long" is not the correct convention to use when specifying size. Additionally, no depth is given.The dimensions for the drawer should be expressed as follows for everyone to understand": Height x Width x Depth. I'm not trying to be picky, but unless conventional terminalogy is used, readers can get confused. That doesn't help you.

Your biggest problem will be racking. If 55" is the width of the drawer, It will tend to sag as well as rack. Make sure the drawer is rigid enough. Drawers this big need more than the typical 1/4" bottom and 1/2" sides. I would probably go with 3/4" plywood for the sides, baxk and front and 1/2" for the bottom. I would use 150 to 200# full extension slides.

Mr. Ron, So. Mississippi. Smarter than the average bear.
Honored Advisor
Warped and Twisted

[ Edited ]

Yes, you can build the drawer you want with the right hardware. I'd l build the drawer sides, front and back out of 1/2 inch solid wood with box or dovetail joints. The bottom depends on what the load is going to be.A 1/2 plywood bottom will hold a lot!

Scroll down to the bottom of the page of this site where it say "Wide Drawer" 

http://americanwoodworker.com/blogs/techniques/archive/2009/10/26/drawer-slides.aspx

Alaskans for Global Warming

Find more about Weather in Eagle River, AK
Click for weather forecast

"The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot.. it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder it is well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better"
Veteran Contributor
Kevin McC1

I might not be the best guy to take advise about drawers, today anyway.  You can have my two cents worth for nothing.

Can you work a center divider into the design along the depth of the drawer?  Dado it into the front and back, then screw the bottom into the bottom of the divider.  It will add a lot of rigidity which will make the slides work a lot better.

If that isn't going to work, then consider bottom mounted center slides.  I have not worked with them yet, but they might be a solution here.  They are kind of spendy because they are a relatively new design.

Kevin

You only go around in life once, and if you do it right, once is all you can stand!
Visitor
carlpmertz

Thanks fellows

Carl

Senior Contributor
3-j

I would guess bottom-mounted slides would afford less rigidity and strength compared to side-mounted.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.