Contributor
LarryEd44

Dovetail Drawer Slides??

[ Edited ]

This will sound real simple to most of you, but I am still pretty new to woodworking.  I'm building a box 16" W X 14" H X 11" Deep.  I'd like to put a couple of drawers in it.  The last one I build I just cut a 1/4" grove in the side of the box and use an extended bottom also 1/4" of the drawer as the rail to slide in the slot.  It kind of wobbles a little and I figured a dovetail would be more solid.

Any tips on how to use the dovetail bit to cut a drawer slide on both sides of the drawer.  I know on the box it is pretty straight forward.  Just put the bit in my router table and run the side over it.  The box is not glued up yet.  Just not clear on how I use the dovetail bit on the sides of the drawer.  Thanks everyone, Larry

Here is my first box.

4218i6FA67FC7FA75399F

Advisor
whitedogstr8leg

Re: Dovetail Drawer Slides??

I'd cut the Dovetail groove in the drawer sides.   The Dovetail  "pin" I'd cut on some scrap, rip the "pin" part off the scrap board, and then attach this "pin" to the sides of the case.   

smarter than a doorknob, meaner than concrete

"KNIFASIGNIKEHT"
Senior Contributor
rph816

Don't know much about the drawer slides, but nice box.  Are those custom Ruger 22/45s?  Love those little pistols, I've got one that is more accurate than me and ultra-reliable.  Fun pieces.

Ryan

Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

I'm having trouble linking things up but if you google 'how to build wooden drawer slides' you'll see what whitedog is talking about.

Rick

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."
Contributor
LarryEd44

[ Edited ]

Thanks, whitedog, I think I got the plan now.

Good eye, Ryan, but it's a Ruger MKII with a Pac-Lite Barrel Receiver on it.  It's a good shooter too.  The other one in the back is a 1911 I build for Bullseye Competition.   I put a Kart barrel and bushing in it and a Cylinder & Slide Trigger group.  They are both good shooters.

BTW thanks for the compliment on the box.  I'm building my buddy one now and I learned a lot on the first one.  I made some mistakes on the first one that I won't make on this one.  Anyway, I'll tell him if he finds any flaws, that's because it's hand made.  I try to never build anything with plans, that way it will never be wrong.:smileyvery-happy:

Veteran Advisor
ericjoseph2001

[ Edited ]

Watch the video #105-"Oh for Keepsake!"  There is a good method you may be able to adapt.  Here's the link. 

http://thewoodwhisperer.com/category/video/marcs-projects/

Senior Contributor
rph816

Yeah, I do love those rugers.  I got the 22/45 which they used to call a Mark III, hoping to compliment it with a full size 1911 at some point.  Alas, i ended up with a Super Redhawk in .44 mag with a 9.5" barrel and a Burris 2x scope (use it for deer hunting).  I would say I need a nice shooting box like that but I haven't been to the range in forever.  Need to get out more.

Ryan

Contributor
LarryEd44

Thanks, ericjoseph, that is a great video, and a great web site.  I am going to make one of those for the wife.  I think she will get a kick out it.

Get busy in the shop first Ryan.  I get great comments every time I go to shoot.  I shoot in NRA Conventional Pistol and almost everyone has the commercial boxes.  So mine really stands out.  Build you a box then find you a club that shoots NRA Conventional Pistol or Bullseye Pistol as it's sometimes called.  

Thanks again everyone, this is the best forum.  I have learned so much here.  Larry

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.