Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

Cutting the juice grooves

What are some of the methods you cutting board guys use to cut the juice grooves. No Matter what I've tried (so far), I seem to wander a little at some point making an unsightly (IMO) deviation from a straight line. None of my routers have an edge guide that gets close enough and even if they did, you still have the corner to contend with. I've used everything from my M12V big router to my palm router with the same results. I appreciate any input, as always. The best I've done is to build a form around the outside, but then I seem to slip a bit to the inside. Maybe I just need to practice.

"If you can't hide it...advertise it!"
Veteran Advisor
dab90south
Honored Advisor
-Paladin-

Re: Cutting the juice grooves

Russ, after trying a few different approaches I settled on an inside and outside template with a nice curved corner, 2S taped to the board.

I cut 4 pieces of wood the width of the router bushing to ensure the inside template was centred. Seems like a lot of work but the crisp groove was worth  it. I was making 10 or 12 boards at the time.

The 2 template method allows you to move the router smoothly and you don't get any burn marks in the corners

~PALADIN~
Wood'nBoats&Stuff
Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

Thanks for the input guys. Dab, I've got to revisit my guide. If it operated like yours, I wouldn't have the problem. Maybe I put it together wrong?  Kent, thanks for that thought. I have considered exactly that, but so far, I'm doing one at a time. They DO seem to be the same size though, so maybe I can just MAKE them be the same size and use your plan.  Thanks again, guys.

Senior Contributor
jeff_dawn_ramer

What if you were to clamp a temporary frame around the outside ,thicker than the cutting board,and a little wide to support the router. You could move the groove by using small spacers made from scraps.And use your router bit with a guide bearing, or a giude collar afixed in the router base.

Jeff

Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

jeff_dawn_ramer wrote:

What if you were to clamp a temporary frame around the outside ,thicker than the cutting board,and a little wide to support the router. You could move the groove by using small spacers made from scraps.And use your router bit with a guide bearing, or a giude collar afixed in the router base.

Jeff

Jeff, that was actually one of the ways I tried, and honestly it was the best so far, but I strayed inside of the cut. Probably just need to practice, but am hoping for a better way. Thanks for your input.

Veteran Advisor
Danl

Russ, I believe in any other post you mentioned that you where using a 3/4" dia core box bit.  I use a 3/8" dia core box bit when making a juice groove in my chopping/cutting boards.  The 3/8" fits inside of my router guide and the guide follows a shop-made template.  It may be easier with the smaller dia.

Danl

Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

Thanks, Danl. That is definitely worth consideration. I need a new bit anyway.

Senior Contributor
jeff_dawn_ramer

Russ,

I've made quite a few of these cutting board's in the last few years, but none with juice groove's. The idea I presented was how I was going to do it in the future. But if you say it doesn't work all that well, hmmm. I will have to keep and eye on your post here,and see what turns out to be the best way to do it.

Keep us posted on your progress....... Thanks

Jeff

Veteran Contributor
waltswoodworkin

Russ i use a 3/8 bit also with an edge guide....I use tape at ea end so I know where to start and stopand just rout up to the tape edge:smileylol:

www.waltswoodworking.net

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.