Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

Re: Cutting cove molding for inside corners

What Rick means is that the flat surface that would be against the wall would be laid on the table of the saw while the flat surface that goes on your ceiling would be against the fence of the saw.

"If you can't hide it...advertise it!"
Apprentice Contributor
biscuitjoiner

Thanks Russ but you are saying two different things.  The reason it does not close is not because it not a perfect 90 degrees. There is a good 1/2" gap when I form an imaginary 90 degrees with two scraps.  I think you are saying it is the wrong technique and needs to be coped.

Thanks for your input.  I am sorry to belabor this point but I think cutting inside corners with molding is a fundamental technigue in woodworking.

Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

[ Edited ]

Biscuitjoiner, I'm sorry but it was late last night and I thought you were talking about crown molding. With cove, just place the 90 degree corner of the piece against the table and fence of the saw, turn the saw to cut an acute 45 degree angle, make the miter cut then make your cope cut.

Here is a video link on coping base shoe (quarter round, it is the same basic principal as coping cove.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_AnWWK2rng&feature=related

Rick

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."
Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

biscuitjoiner wrote:

Thanks Russ but you are saying two different things.  The reason it does not close is not because it not a perfect 90 degrees. There is a good 1/2" gap when I form an imaginary 90 degrees with two scraps.  I think you are saying it is the wrong technique and needs to be coped.

Thanks for your input.  I am sorry to belabor this point but I think cutting inside corners with molding is a fundamental technigue in woodworking.

It's kind of hard to see from here. There are two ways to make a corner. Mitering and coping. Your choice. I'll leave it at that.

"If you can't hide it...advertise it!"
Apprentice Contributor
biscuitjoiner

[ Edited ]

Deleted

Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

[ Edited ]

Let's try this one more time.

Set your miter saw to 45 degrees and cut your work piece.

COPE I.JPG

Use a pencil to "high light" to finish edge of the miter.

COPE II.JPG

Cope out the shaded area, remembering to back cut it slightly.

COPE III.JPG

Use a rasp and utility knife to fine tune your cut if needed.

COPE IV.JPG

Install the trim.

COPE V.JPG

One other thing. No molding "needs" to be cut with a compound miter. That includes crown molding.

Rick

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."
Apprentice Contributor
biscuitjoiner

Thanks Rick.  That is very helpful.  I will start my coping tomorrow.

Apprentice Contributor
biscuitjoiner

Thanks again Russ.  I stand corrected .  My mitering problems were from incorrect orientation on the saw.  When corrected the miters closed.  Therefore one can miter or cope as you have stated.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.