Honored Advisor
kmealy

Re: Couple of questions for discussions.

[ Edited ]

Normally called a "half lap miter"  put together like this:

As for shoulder planes, I have a #92 that I got at an antique tool auction a number of years ago.

And a couple of bullnose

I got both of these over 20 years ago when I got interested in "old tools"   Still use them to fine tune rabbets, tenons, and tongue and groove joints.

Veteran Advisor
messy35339

Since getting my shoulder planes, life is so much simpler.

Stick, I made your router plane. It works pretty well.

Taking slobbery to new dimensions!
Messy...
Esteemed Advisor
smallpatch1

John for a strange reason I quit watching wood working shows long ago. I think I was happy with the way I did things and why would I want to change to another persons way. My wife would ask why I sat there and would argue with Norm or who ever it was I was watching. 

Also doing wood working with the tools such as planes and the such is just not much fun. I do own  maybe 50 hand planes and 20 or so of the spokeshaves, if this is the proper name for these?. And have a few more back in the corner somewhere and am too lazy to hang the rest of them up.spokeshaves 001.JPG

I really don't know. I will buy these things if there are any in the auctions I attend to redo but I never use any of them. Just not my cup of tea. I take a list of the names of these hanging up and will buy more if they are made by different makers. To me one is not worth more than the next one..

I think I am finally feeling my age. Hey I don't even enjoy backing the camper out and  and seeing a different part of the country like I use to.

John you got lots of thoughts on your questions so I thought I would show the other side of wood working...my side..

Senior Advisor
Jon439

Jess: Those are draw knives, not spoke shaves. They are used for initial shaping/smoothing of split or rived wood, usually used with a draw horse.

Jon-439

Do nudists play strip poker?
Esteemed Advisor
smallpatch1

Thanks Jon I better go and check these other things I been collecting all these years . I might have been buying papeweights instead of wood planes......Matter of fact that is the only thing I use them for. Three of four of them will keep my plans from rolling back up.........I wonder if I got any spoke shaves.

Senior Advisor
wirebender

John -

The "Just-Right Joinery" in issue 204, page 20, featured "Super-Strong Mitered Half-Laps" and showed the technique for making them.

I'm with Keith on using the antique Stanley Bull-Nose plane...it works great for me!  I have not felt the need to spend big bucks for new and shiny.

Dave.

There's gotta be a better way
Esteemed Advisor
john880

Thank You Dave,

I will go and look up that issue. Not much all that involved in materal, and for some reasoning it looks like somethng I would like to try to do, just to see,,,,,,, Again thanks for the heads up. 

TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN,
YET AT THE SAME TIME, THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE,,, SO MAKE THE BEST OF IT WHILE YOU CAN, AND ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.