Veteran Contributor
nubby968204

Coated deck screws or Stainless in cedar and redwood

Making outdoor furniture for my patio.  Some wood will be cedar and some redwood.  Should I spring for stainless steel screws or will deck screws that are rated for pressure treated lumber surfice?  Thanks

Senior Contributor
trimjim

Re: Coated deck screws or Stainless in cedar and redwood

Stainless steel...

Community Manager
MSWOODcraft

+1 on stainless.  Galvanized or hot dipped nails/screws inevitably lead to long black streaks leading down from the screws as the coating fails.

Best,

Matt Seiler
Wood Online Moderator

Esteemed Advisor
smallpatch1

Its been about 11 years since I built decks on three sides of my house and some of the coated to last forever has rusted completely in two.  Save yourself  some work later in time.

Honored Advisor
-Paladin-

If I'm nailing I just use good quality Spiral Galvanized nails, for screws I use Galvanized for most structural work and SS for highly visible/arcitectual work.

~PALADIN~
Wood'nBoats&Stuff
Veteran Advisor
It was Al B

If plated screws are used, even if they don't rust, they will likely cause staining of the wood. Go with Stainless. Plated may be OK for PT wood, but if you're opting for quality woods, why not use stainless. One thing to be aware of if you haven't used stainless before. It is weaker than steel and you can easily twist the heads off the screws if you don't take the time to pre-drill your holes.

A vacation is what you take when you can no longer take what you have been taking.
Al Salisbury, MA
Senior Contributor
charliew

I agree with stainless steel. Made a glider 8 years ago from cedar. Looks as good today as when I made it.

Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

I've built a lot of decks and never had an issue with galvanized on REDWOOD. However, cedar is another story. Get ready to take out a mortgage for stainless if choose those. I just read an article in McFeelys catalog about the differences in stainless quality. The #200 (or something like that) (the cheaper ones) will still rust eventually. You (according to the seller) need to go with the high quality SS.

"If you can't hide it...advertise it!"
Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

Like Russ said, lower grades of stainless steel will rust fairly rapidly. In fact, ALL stainless steel will eventually rust, it just takes longer. Even decades. I would still use stainless as previously recommended, but I would also counter bore the screws and plug the holes.

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."
Veteran Advisor
It was Al B

McFeely's is a big supplier of screws,but almost every screw they sell comes from China. The rest come from Taiwan. Just in case this determines your supplier.

A vacation is what you take when you can no longer take what you have been taking.
Al Salisbury, MA

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.