Apprentice Contributor
Cheapside Mike

Charity Wood Club Project

[ Edited ]

I thought I would let you know about our wood club and what we recently accomplished using one of WOOD Magazine's project plans. Against the Grain Wood Club Is a group of 9 woodworkers of different skill levels, who get together weekly to work on projects, learn woodworking techniques and hone their woodworking skills. Each year over the last 3 years we have produced a club project that we donated to our local Hospital for their Charity Auction fundraiser. This year we decided to make a number of End Grain Cutting Boards that featured in the October 2008 issue. We gathered wood throughout the summer and started in September putting them together. We made 35 in total and 25 were put into the auction which was held last Saturday November 19th. The remainder are to be designated to other future Hospital fundraisers, draws and door prizes etc. The boards at the auction were a huge success. Some were placed on silent auction tables and some were auctioned off. In the live auction the bidding reached $90 when the sold call was given. When asked who else wanted one at that price hands went up throughout the hall. All were sold and over $1800 was realized for our efforts to the Hospital when it was said and done. Our Club is quite proud of our accomplishments and thank you at WOOD Magazine for the project idea.

Against the Grain 2011.jpg

Photo above features Against the Grain members with Hospital Foundation Chair, Lynn Montague and a sampling of the cutting boards. Left to right are:  Lynn Montague, Bob Dewolfe, Dave Fallis, Al Bothwright, Tom Montague, Wayne Smith, John Gray, Mike Thomas, Mike Feeney and Carl Bloch.  The West Haldimand Hospital Auction was Saturday November 19th, 2011 at the Hagersville Community Centre.  All proceeds will go to the New Hospital Equipment Campaign.

Some Pictures taken throughout the project:

Flattening.JPG

Flattening the glued up blanks

Oiling.JPG

Oiling up the sanded boards. We used Terra Nova Natur-oil.

Installing Feet.JPG

Installing the Rubber Feet

Assembly Line.JPG

Many Hands make light work

WHGH 2011 002.jpg

Finished boards ready to go

Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

Re: Charity Wood Club Project

Congratulations on a VERY successful and worthwhile endeavor.

"If you can't hide it...advertise it!"
Senior Contributor
Glen Schumann

Great work team!  Congratulations.  Having made ONE of these cutting boards, I'm curious as to whether you know how many hours of work went into each one?

Glen Schumann
Go Pack Go!
On Wisconsin!

Handmade Ballpoint, Bullet, Stylus, Fountain, Gel Pens: http://www.etsy.com/shop/GlensWorkshop
About Handmade Pens at Glen’s Workshop on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GlensWorkshop.
Esteemed Advisor
john880

[ Edited ]

Very, Very Well Done you guys,

The comradeship of getting together, and then sharing your combined skills to a very worthy cause. I think you'all have found a supper combination in your combined involvement in woodworking. The very best of everything to you club & its membership, and here to an even greater success, on your next undertaking    :smileywink:

TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN,
YET AT THE SAME TIME, THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE,,, SO MAKE THE BEST OF IT WHILE YOU CAN, AND ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS.

Honored Advisor
stick48668

very nice...

Kudos to the entier crew...

this would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
if only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Advisor
Marlen_at_WOOD

Mike thanks for the post, images, and great charitable cause. This is an accomplishment to be darn proud of. 

If your club is sponsoring some sort of charitable building project, please post about it in the General Woodworking forum for all to see. Marlen @ WOOD

Apprentice Contributor
Cheapside Mike

Impossible to say since so many of us were working on them. Some were taking them home to sand etc, but I will say that you shouldn't quit your day job to make a living doing these!

Mike

Senior Contributor
Globba

Looks great.  And a very good donation for a good cause.

Senior Contributor
LOman

Great job for a very worthwhile cause.

Ron

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."
Veteran Advisor
grandpabear

doing for charity and community service is the foundation of the Woodworkers Of Whittier. Visit us at www.woodworkersofwhittier.org

Whittier CA
THE MOST DANGEROUS TOOL IS THE ONE YOU ARE USING

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.