Contributor
mmjacqma

Buying Rough Sawn Lumber in Michigan

Hi all: 

I am a novice woodworker who recently bought a new planer, and I want to start purchacing rough sawn lumber.  My problem is...I can't figure out where to buy it in my area!  I live in SAGINAW, Michigan and I dont want to have to drive for hours just to buy wood.

What can I do?

Honored Advisor
ynoT

Re: Buying Rough Sawn Lumber in Michigan

[ Edited ]

You simply type 'rough sawn wood michigan' in Google search spot and see what it comes up with.

Then spend some time reading, making calls and get familiar with falks you may be doing business with.

If nothing helps, contact Woodworkes Source and see what specials they have. On some there is a free shipping too.

Tony

"Why worry about things you can't control when you can keep yourself busy controlling the things that depend on you."
Honored Advisor
Warped and Twisted

Y not gave good advice. There is also a good wood search engine geared towards wood called "woodfinder".

http://www.woodfinder.com/

Alaskans for Global Warming

Find more about Weather in Eagle River, AK
Click for weather forecast

"The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot.. it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder it is well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better"
Veteran Advisor
Ted_in_Michigan

mm -

I'm in the Lansing area and had some of the samw concerns as you when I started out. The advice given so far is right on. Us ehte internet search engines (Google), try Craig's list, pick up the local shopper's guide and talk to other woodworkers. That should get you started. My sources are all Lansing, or south or west of me but if you want them, just drop me a note and I'll share.

Ted in Michigan
Go Buckeyes!
http://www.tedsworkshop.com
Senior Advisor
firejohn

Having recently bought a jointer and planer, I'm going in that direction, too.  I live in Grand Blanc.  I located this place (near you) but have not been up there yet.  Check it out and give a report :smileyhappy:

http://www.barndoorlumber.com/aboutus.htm

Advisor
tomsteve1967

barn door lumber in hemlock. i have been there a few times. go on graigslist and type in lumber in the search box.  there's a few people advertising in your area for lumber. ya might have to drive a bit until you find someone close by. if ya wanna drive about 2 hours, there's armstrong millworks on M-59 in highland. they have EVERY type of wood there is.  they have 3 huge ass barns with r.s. lumber of every species and just about every grade.

no matter what i build or how many times i build it, it's all practice.
Senior Advisor
firejohn

tomsteve1967 wrote:

barn door lumber in hemlock. i have been there a few times. go on graigslist and type in lumber in the search box.  there's a few people advertising in your area for lumber. ya might have to drive a bit until you find someone close by. if ya wanna drive about 2 hours, there's armstrong millworks on M-59 in highland. they have EVERY type of wood there is.  they have 3 huge ass barns with r.s. lumber of every species and just about every grade.

A friend of mine told me about Armstrong, too.  Haven't been there, either.  Public Lumber in Detroit is another, but a bit far (wear Kevlar) to go.  L.L.Johnson in Charlotte is another one, but no Kevlar required.  Any comments on Barn Door Lumber?

Contributor
m_shep

try this link http://local.botw.org/search.aspx?path=Construction_and_Remodeling%

and look for a club by you, I know there is one in Midland, or check yellow pages. Michigan has lots of saw mills there must be several not far from you. 

Mike

Advisor
tomsteve1967

barn door has a variety of different species, but not the quantity of armstrong.  the prices are average and they usually have different grades of the lumber.

if you go to armstrong millworks, be prepared for your addiction to come out. have a BIG truck!!!that is if you have a big wallet.

Advisor
tomsteve1967

you can also go to www.woodfinder.com.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.