Senior Reader
Don686

Building a bridge over culvert

I am a novice woodworker...looking for help on the planning of how to construst a 10' ft. small arc wooden bridge from yard sidewalk over the culvert ditch to street mailbox.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks,

Don,

don.simmons@att.net

Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

Re: Building a bridge over culvert

HERE is one that will last forever.

http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-plans/outdoor/furniture/arched-garden-footbridge/

HERE is another one.

http://www.redwoodgardenbridges.com/Garden-bridges-plans-c-75.html

Rick

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."
Honored Advisor
JL North GA

Don686 wrote:

I am a novice woodworker...looking for help on the planning of how to construst a 10' ft. small arc wooden bridge from yard sidewalk over the culvert ditch to street mailbox.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks,

Don,

don.simmons@att.net

What sort of arc do you want??  Do you want the top and the bottom to have an arc or just the top??  How much of an arc do you want?
Figure you want three "beams" to your bridge.  Side-center-side.  The "easiest" way is to get 10' long 2 x 12"s.  Get a nice thin piece of lumber that is ~3/16 or so thick x 12' long.  Fasten one end on the bottom corner of your 2 x 12.  Bend it to a pleasing arc that ends on the other bottom corner.  Draw the line.  You'll want ~5" or so thickness for your beam.  Draw another line parallel to the first one and 5" away.  Hopefully it won't extend past the top part of the 2 x 12.  If it does, joint the upper surface of the 2 x 12" and glue what you need on the top (could be all you need is a small section of 2 x 4).  Get out the jig saw and start sawing.
Make 2 other beams the same way.  The garden bridge that I built was ~33" or so wide.  I had the beams about 16" on center.  I had a couple of 2 x 6 spacer blocks between the 2 x 12s.  I then decked with 1 x 5 decking lumber.  The side rail supports were attached to the beams and were ~36" high.  I just made these "flat" rather than arced.  I had a total of five supports so they did have a bit of a "curve".

Community Manager
MSWOODcraft

Just a thought... maybe it doesn't apply, but I had to ask.

Does your village/county/other body care if you erect over the culvert?   Will you end up with somebody holding a clip board standing on your front lawn and checking little boxes for how you violated any rules against it?

Maybe not, but it bore asking.

Best,

Matt Seiler
Wood Online Moderator

Esteemed Advisor
p_toad

Unless it's dry when you are building, you need to build off to one side and move it into place.  Plan on a fair amount of weight once you have it put together.  Also plan on anchors if the culvert ever fills with running water.

Don't ask how I know.

Senior Reader
Don686

There are no county or city codes I must abide by as long as I don't extend into the street.  I do not live in a subdivision. My residence is down a country road about 4 miles from town. 

Thanks everybody for your gracious time and knowledge. 

Advisor
Dave in Md

Don,

Here is a quick writeup on on I made, this is 8' long so quite close to what you are looking for.  If you want detailed pics I can send you a bunch.  I took a lot as I thought this would be a bear, as it turned out it was one of the easiest projects I ever did.  https://community.lowescreativeideas.com/project_detail.aspx?plckController=Blog&plckBlogPage=BlogVi...

The Light of One Candle is Never Dimmed by Lighting Another.

Dave Moran

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.