Apprentice Member
rpepera

Building a New Shop - Vaulted or flat ceiling?

I'm building a new shop and I'm looking for some advice on the type of ceiling to put in it.  The roof will have a 6/12 pitch which will give it a peek of about seven feet above the walls.  Would you go with a vaulted ceiling with a 16 foot peek or a flat 9'3" ceiling?  What about sky lights?  Also, if I go with the vaulted ceiling, how do I hang the dust collection pipes?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Frequent Contributor
Merlinro

Re: Building a New Shop - Vaulted or flat ceiling?

It depends on what part of the country that you live in. (climate) Why are you thinking of a vaulted ceiling?  too many negatives (imho)    Merlin

Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

I don't think I would want vaulted ceilings either, mainly because of hanging lights, etc.. What I would do however, would be to vault the first foot or two and then create a 10' or better FLAT celing from there on in. The high ceiling is nice to have when flipping a board, but flat would be better in my opinion.

"If you can't hide it...advertise it!"
Veteran Advisor
Sawdustr

GoodMorning Friend,

First of all welcome to the best woodworking forums on the internet as there is a lot to learn from these forums as well as folks with enough experience to answer most any question you might have.

Now for your question I am in the process of building onto my shop and I am setting the rafters on a 4/12 pitch while the ceiling joists will be level so it will allow me to install a double layer of R19 Batten insulation due to the fact that some times here in OHio the winter temperature may get down to below 0º F. and as high as 92º in the summer months and this added insulation will help to keep the shop nice and cozy. Even if the temp does get as high as stated the inside of the shop would not normally get higher than 74º and would feel like air conditioning.

Remember to keep your hands no closer to a spinning blade or bit than 6" for safety sake.

Respectfully,

Ralph Jones General Forums Host

http://www.ralphjoneswoodworking.com
Advisor
Rrandy

My experience, if you live where the temp is moderate year round then a vaulted ceiling can work ok. IF you live below I-20 or above I-64 then a flat ceiling will sure make it easier to heat and cool the shop. My bro-in-law lives outside Houston TX and during the summer it gets too hot even with AC and those of us north will waste a lot of heating energy getting that "2nd story"  warm in the winter. A buddy here in WV has 2 buildings, 1 flat the other vaulted and he likes both but says the vaulted is harder to warm in the winter. He installed a cheap ceiling fan and has it blowing up to circulate the warm air in the winter and says that helps but, it tends to stir up the dust a bit. Being as footprint space is at a real premium in the hills I will probably go with a gambrel roof/ceiling on the new shop...but that's just me and my opinion. 

Never do anything you don't want to explain to the EMT.

Veteran Contributor
LibertyWW

I would vote for a flat ceiling at least 10' tall.  As far a skylights, do it.  I put 3 skylights in my new shop and during the day I don't even need lights on in there.  I have one skylight that is right over my assembly table, I love having a pool of natural light where I work.

Fred

Honored Advisor
handy-dan

I woulkd go for the flat ceiling and use the space above for storage being sure to use floor joists strong enough for the weight you put up there. You just never have enough storage space IMO.

Dan
Youngstown, Oh
Advisor
handyman john

Opinions being what they are and worth each and every penny you pay for them, here's mine, and contrarian that I am its NOT in total agreement with others.

I would and may some day go with a vaulted ceiling IF the building is sufficient size for storage of ALL things on the floor. At present my shop has a 10 ft ceiling and storage UP in the "attic". I put light weight stuff up there.

A vaulted ceiling allows you to install ceiling fans HIGH UP and out of harms way. The lighting can either be hung on chains OR mounted directly to the ceiling which will better disperse light and help reduce shadows - with this caveat, you need slightly higher wattage OUTPUT because the lights are further from the work surfaces.

You can install sky lights more easily (spelled FREE lighting). You can still run a DC around the wall at the top of said wall without problems. Insulation can be done very effectively but needs to be done right the first time; its not easy to crawl up there.

Air movement is better which means BETTER ventilation and IF you live in a hot clime, installing gable end fans INSIDE the shop will remove heat better.

And of course there is the obvious advantage of moving larger, longer boards in the center area without interference. The other plus is you FEEL like the shop is larger because the ceiling is higher.

I've never been in an industrial building that the workers complained the ceiling was too high - too LOW yes - too high NEVER. Higher ceilings disperse SOUND better too.

step one; understand the problem - the correct answer will follow
Esteemed Advisor
p_toad

And with a high ceiling you can have central and mid-side beams to attach lights, dust collection, power and whatever else you may want "dropped" down.

Veteran Advisor
grandpabear

[ Edited ]

see the post .http://community.woodmagazine.com/t5/General-Woodworking/The-WoodGal-s-Shop-Trusses-Added/td-p/37455

Whittier CA
THE MOST DANGEROUS TOOL IS THE ONE YOU ARE USING

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.