Contributor
bobnthebandit

Bow Arm Morris Chair Plans

Gregory Paolini built a bow arm Morris Chair outlined in the May/June 2009 FWW #205.  The plan is now out of print and it is unsure if it will be reprinted.  I would like to build this chair so need a plan.  If you are through with yours, I would like to purchase it.  Thanks for the consideration.

Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

Re: Bow Arm Morris Chair Plans

Is it this one (link)? I looks like it is still available.

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."
Veteran Advisor
Gary K.

Have you given the Bent Arm any consideration? A bent arm has no major glue-ups on the arms. You basically slice off the top of a board and glue it to the bottom front ot of the arm. Just a thought. The bow arm looked a lttle cumbersome to me. IMHO

Keedy

" Anyone who isn't confused here, doesn't really know what's going on."

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure. People tell me I'm argumentative, but I beg to differ. All I know is it's bad luck to be superstitious.

Advisor
wadriscoll1

Here's THE PLAN I think your looking for - Willy

Contributor
bobnthebandit

Rick,

That is a different chair.  I like the heavier look to Greg's chair although the one you mentioned is a possiblity.  Thanks for the input.

Keedy,

This bent arm is a glue up of 4x1/4" thick QS oak panels.  I've not done one before but want to see if I can live up to the challenge.

Thanks for the input.

Bob

Esteemed Advisor
hankm

In addition to plans,

WOOD Online has a very respectable library of free videos for your education and enjoyment in the pursuit of learning more about the craft of woodworking.

There are two channels you can look at for specific subjects:

The first is WOODCuts.

http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodvision/

This is the site to go for “house” videos that WOOD magazine has produced for its site visitors. Although these may have commercials in them, and thus have a bit of a loading wait, they are still solid blocks of good to know information professionally shot and edited, with clear and concise demonstrations.

The second resource for videos is WOODTube.

http://woodtube.ning.com/

These are user submitted videos usually shot by woodworkers who wish to visually share tips, tricks, and techniques they feel are worth passing on. This site has a search engine so you can get more specific in your need to know area.

Don't ask advice on federal firearms law from people on the internet unless you like jail food.

- Beachside Hank, WOOD Online Video Host

Contributor
bobnthebandit

Willy,

Yes, that is the chair I am referring to and want to build.

The plan in the magazine article is OK but still leaves a lot of details out that will be necessary, I think.  If I cannot find the full scale drawings I will go with the magazine info.

Thanks for the help.

Have a blessed day,

Bob

Contributor
bobnthebandit

Hello All,

The plans for this Morris Chair are still available at the American Furniture Design website.  When FWW said the plan was out of print, I incorrectly assumed the original printer was out.  As it turns out, only FWW was out.

FYI

Have a blessed day,

Bob

Frequent Visitor
cstandley283065

Bob,

Hi, I haven't asked questions on the forum before; mostly lurk. I wondered if you ever built the bow armed Morris chair and how it went.  Specifically, I noticed some discrepancies between the plan booklet/magazine article and the plans themselves.  For instance the side rails from tenon to tenon measure 27 3/8 on the plan and the booklet and magazine show them as 28 inches even. I wondered what you did in that case. Hopefully following the plan is the thing to do.

Cynthia

Contributor
bobnthebandit

Hello Cynthia,

Well, you caught me!!  I had planned on building the Morris chair this summer but several things got in the way and put the delay on that project.  Thank you for your project discrepancy on the measurements; I will keep any eyeball open when I do get going.

The Home Owner Association that governs our townhome complex came by and (for the second time) "suggested" I refinish my front door.  They really get nasty with the third time so I thought that might be a better project choice  than the chair.  After sanding and finishing 3 times (slightly more than a week) until I was satisfied, the door is done.

Next, I decided to get back to my house remodel.  It's all done except for cabinets in the 2 upstairs bathrooms; a total of 5 cabinets.  I am about half way and glad I went this route.  Several missionaries come through town a couple of times a year and I like to contributed to their living arrangements where I can by letting them stay on the top floor for a few days.

Now that the white stuff is almost upon us, it would appear the chair is a "next year" project.  With the car in the garage along with the tools, not much work actually gets done in the winter.  Can spring/summer be far behind??

Sorry, didn't mean to ramble.  Just making excuses why I didn't get the chair done like I had hoped.

Bob

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.