Highlighted
Advisor

Blanket Chest

Just Completed a Blanket Chest, Genuine Milk Paint  two coats of a wash finish, Dovetail Jig Porter Cable. Color Marigold Yellow.  An oil  finish  gives subtle color with time. My wife made a crazy quilt insert for the till. This is designed from my personal experience and by a mix of others plans.  Blanket Chest Milk Paint R.JPGDSCN1145.JPG

Paul-on the beautiful Maine Coast
Honored Advisor

Re: Blanket Chest

very nice...

this would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
if only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick...

Forget the primal scream, just ROAR!!!
Honored Advisor

Excellent job Paul!  I like that you even dovetailed the foot area.

"If you can't hide it...advertise it!"
Veteran Advisor

Very nice!

Cal

Contributor

Awesome work!  Love it.

Honored Advisor

Outstanding Work!!

Kelly C
Medford, OR
Honored Advisor

Beautiful, I like the dove tails.  The milk paint let the grain show through.  Nice.

Dan
Youngstown, Oh
Honored Advisor

You didn't have to go whole hog with the first picture. With something that good you will scare the more timid where they won't ever post nothing.

I got a dove tail machine also..... but that don't mean I'm smart enough to use it!

I know someone would like to know the dimensions and a little better explain on the finishing.....

Honored Advisor

I like the spacing you chose for of the Dove Tail  down the front sides and its proportions,,,,,what is the overall size ?

TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN,
YET AT THE SAME TIME, THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE,,, SO MAKE THE BEST OF IT WHILE YOU CAN, AND ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS.

Advisor

Thank you all for the nice comments. The heigth is 23 inches, width is 18inches , and the length is 36 inches. The dimensions were based upon an old blanket chest we picked up at an auction. The PC dovetail jig allows me to do up to 24 inch wide dovetail joints-I used 18 inches following the four corners around. A larger a box would be too imposing on the overall room 

Breadboard ends are beech. That  is way strong enough to keep the cover from bending. A breadboard makes it more difficult to use a lid support (chain or other mechanical device) to keep it  from opening too wide.  Color adds alot to a room with normal furniture colors. Reds, blues, greens, etc add a bit of zip.

A piano hinge is helpful in a soft wood in that it allows more screws. The piece has no super expensive hardware or woods. 

Paul-on the beautiful Maine Coast