Advisor
Superglide

Blanket Chest

Hi all, haven't posted anything in a while, so I thought I would show some pics of a blanket chest that is almost complete.

It was made by resawing a 3 inch thick slab of crotch walnut.

The holes are sealed off from the inside of the box with 3/8" walnut boards, so it's a functional blanket chest.

Crazy Chest 1.jpgCrazy Chest 3.jpgCrazy Chest 2.jpg

Veteran Advisor
ericjoseph2001

Re: Blanket Chest

Wow, that is incredible!  Those wide boards are neat and you did an awesome job incorporating those features into your chest, great build!  There will never be another like that one!

Veteran Advisor
Jon439

The book matched top shows an excellent example of "Chatoyance" - where wood viewed from various angles shows up differently.

Jon-439
Senior Advisor
smallpatch1

I like it and most of all I like your thinking. If a person can't think on his own then he don't need to be playing around with wood.!!!!!   Well done!!!

Smallpatch

Community Manager
MSWOODcraft

Oooohhhhh.... now you're playing with my emotions!   :smileytongue:     That is truly spectacular, sir!    OUTSTANDING job!!

Best,

Matt Seiler
Wood Online Moderator

Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

AWESOME!

"If you can't hide it...advertise it!"
Senior Advisor
Woodburner

Talk about unique !  That is about as good as they can come.  Even contemplating the use of those slabs as a furniture piece sure shows your foresight and design capabilites. Letting mother nature come through in your work is nothing but positive. Thank you for sharing that with us.

My wife, grand daughter and two grandsons went wow.

Leo in AZ.

PS:What finish did you use, it sure makes that walnut beautiful.

LEO
Forums Host
Senior Contributor
Globba

Very cool.  I'd like to see the inside when you get a shot of it.

Veteran Advisor
Ted in Michigan

John - THAT is like completely off the scale! Love the top. Love the base. Love the sides. Gonna get a lot of attaboys. Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Uh - who gets it?

Ted in Michigan
Go Buckeyes!
http://www.tedsworkshop.com
Esteemed Advisor

Just think most of us would have cut that out as waste.     Amazing insight .     Roly

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.