Veteran Contributor
Freznel

Bandsaw fun

Well I have finally made my first bandsaw box to break in my new bandsaw.  Man my arms are killing me from all the sanding...

IMG_3327.JPG

IMG_3359.JPG

Mike
Advisor
Superglide

Re: Bandsaw fun

Very nice!! What kind of wood did you use?

Senior Contributor
Old Woodie

Nice! What wood did you use? When you make the drawers, do you cut the front and the back from the drawer blank, and then cut the drawer cavity with the bandsaw, or how do you do that? That is, if you don't mind telling us.

It's not worth it to dwell on things that are not worth it!
Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

Very nice! Great job, especially for our first one. I could only hope I would do that well.

"If you can't hide it...advertise it!"
Senior Contributor
grumpyoldbill

That's why I bought an oscillating spindle sander.

Veteran Contributor
Freznel

Superglide wrote:

Very nice!! What kind of wood did you use?

I used Cherry and Walnut for the box.  For the drawer I did cut the front and back off and then cut out the center.  Finally I re-glued it.  I have to say that asside from the glue time, the sanding is the longest time spent on the project.  I am planning a new one were there is a hidden compartment.

Mike
Senior Advisor
Woodburner

Old Woodie,

How to make Bandsaw Boxes

You may already know this, but it is available in Issue 121 page 68  and also  on WOOD DVD Vol 2.

Leo in AZ.

LEO
Forums Host
Honored Advisor
ynoT

Very nice work, Freznel.

Tony

"Why worry about things you can't control when you can keep yourself busy controlling the things that depend on you."
Veteran Advisor
It was Al B

[ Edited ]

Nice  work Freznel. I've gotten into bandsaw box making myself, and really enjoy it. I just finished 3 using walnut. Thus far, I haven't really designed one of my own, though I've modified designs from Lois Keener Ventura's book, "Building Beautiful Boxes with Your Band saw". I recommend getting the book if you're looking for designs to build, and instruction for building them. It has 14 patterns that are from very simple to very challenging to build. Available at amazon. Sanding is much faster and easier with a spindle sander for most of the sanding required. If you don't have one, I'd definitely recommend considering getting one. I started out with the hand sanding and it is exhausting.

A vacation is what you take when you can no longer take what you have been taking.

Al B ---- from Salisbury, MA
Senior Contributor
Old Woodie

Thanks for replying to my & about cutting for drawer interiors. Also I appreciate the issue # for Wood Mag. article. I think I might try a few for next Christmas.

It's not worth it to dwell on things that are not worth it!

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.