Advisor
JayBates86

A Gorgeous Cabinet From 2x4s

A lot of beginning woodworkers get the impression that you need high quality wood to make beautiful furniture. It doesn't help that most people will tell you that pine 2x4s are junk and don't work with them. I disagree. I decide to make this cabinet out of nothing but 2x4s for the solid panels and frame and some scrap 1/4" luan for the door and side panels. If you watched the SketchUp design video previously (in the sketchup section here in this forum) you will notice some changes. I ditched the stand as I am crammed for space, ditched the back and bottom door, and added a solid shadow line panel to both sides as well as a french cleat to hang it. Here is a video covering the build. Have a great weekend folks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkAd5uJrnBE

http://www.jayscustomcreations.com
YouTube.com/jayscustomcreations
Honored Advisor
stick48668

Re: A Gorgeous Cabinet From 2x4s

very nice..

this would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
if only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Senior Contributor
woodenbird

Well done.

Glenn in Regina,SK
Esteemed Advisor
john880

Jay you make a very good instructional video,,,, and that cabinet,,,, well that's pretty darn good also. You are also a good teacher/instructor. Thanks for the ride along, Some good planning and nice woodworking execution on those thought, Jay.

Oh almost forgot to ask. What brand is your table saw ? I noticed it has a built in riving knife. Not to exclude it runs and cuts smooth also.

TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN,
YET AT THE SAME TIME, THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE,,, SO MAKE THE BEST OF IT WHILE YOU CAN, AND ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS.

Honored Advisor
Warped and Twisted

The cabinet look good.  2x4's are fine as long as moisture content within furniture building range. Other wise over time it could self destruct with wood movement.

Alaskans for Global Warming

Find more about Weather in Eagle River, AK
Click for weather forecast

"The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot.. it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder it is well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better"
Esteemed Advisor
smallpatch1

You are right in more ways than one. Pine can be used to make beautiful furniture which you just did and yes it is cheaper than hardwood.

The two reasons I don't use pine is because is ruins my sanding belts way faster than hardwood and at any time when you are least expecting it, it will all of a sudden start twisting and turning for no reason .....

It only took me one short pine board put through the new drum sander I just bought to make a believer out of me.

Veteran Advisor
brianalt

Amazing! That turned out very nice. Excellent use of 2x4s again. :smileywink:

Advisor
JayBates86

john880 wrote:

Jay you make a very good instructional video,,,, and that cabinet,,,, well that's pretty darn good also. You are also a good teacher/instructor. Thanks for the ride along, Some good planning and nice woodworking execution on those thought, Jay.

Oh almost forgot to ask. What brand is your table saw ? I noticed it has a built in riving knife. Not to exclude it runs and cuts smooth also.

Hey John. Thanks! And the table saw is a Porter-Cable PCB270TS.

http://www.jayscustomcreations.com
YouTube.com/jayscustomcreations
Honored Advisor
ynoT

I would disagree on that first statement "A lot of beginning woodworkers get the impression that you need high quality wood to make beautiful furniture."

Most choose not to go the "expensive" route because of being afraid making mistyake.

And I have seen some "biginning" work that rival that of some very experienced woodworkers.

The "trick" is to follow plan, be patient, and understand what's involved.

I like what you did here and it does looks nice.

What is the image made of, if I may ask? Or, how did you go about it?

Tony

"Why worry about things you can't control when you can keep yourself busy controlling the things that depend on you."
Senior Advisor
Jon439

[ Edited ]

Probably the main reason for NOT using 2x4 lumber is that it usually is made for the construction trades, not necessarily dried to furniture standards - about 6% MC. The second is that (at least out west) Douglas Fir is the construction species of choice, and back east, it's probably Southern Yellow Pine.

The standard construction 2x4 is designed to carry loads in the vertical,  - compression loads - where they are the strongest. They can have pith, and plenty of knots, which don't affect their strength. They can also have pitch pockets that will weep for who knows how long.

This doesn't mean you CAN'T used KD Douglas Fir or SYP for furniture. It's just harder to find, and a lot more expen$ive.

As to using white pine for furniture, don't forget that our American ancestors used white pine for furniture since before the Revolutionary War. Properly dried (air dried back then) white pine shouldn't spontaneously start twisting and warping all on it's own.

Nice work.

Jon-439

Do nudists play strip poker?

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.